Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Re: Stuart Hall sentence

You're absolutely right Arfa, if only it were that simple ...
I know of cases where the daughter has confided in the Mother, regarding a step-father, boyfriend to the Mother - the daughter was not believed - in one of those cases, he attacked another young girl and was arrested, it 'all' came out then! But, how soul destroying for the victim not to be given credance first - especially from a Mother !
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:17 PM

Wrinkley said -
If mums and dads sat their children down and tell them what is right and what is wrong, then I believe most of these kids would have spoken up at the time of the assault.

I think that's how things were in many households Wrinkley. Childlren did not speak up. Things like this were never spoken about in many homes, or if they were only referred to in vague ways - sexual things and particularly abuse was unmentionable and that's certainly how it was in our house. Something happened to me many years ago when I was about ten. Quite a few children as well as myself were sexually abused by this man who was in a position of trust (a teacher in fact) and the abuse had been going on for quite some time. Many girls from past years had been abused as well, and kept quiet about it - this did not just involve the current year he was teaching. I would rather not go into great detail, but what happened ended up at Crown Court. It was quite a serious and important court case, taking about 4 days of evidence giving/defence before the jury were asked to retire and reach a verdict. All the girls giving evidence had to stand up and speak whilst this creature was watching them give their evidence -On each time, his defence proceeded with his cross examination, to try and destroy the evidence given by each individual girl. It went on and on and it was relentless. It was a pretty rough experience for girls aged from nine to eleven and many broke down. I remember my mum, in particular - she could not bring herself to discuss what happened with me or my sister. - When the police initially arrived to interview my sister and I at home, she just said "you had better tell the truth" and "this could stop you having babies". That was all she would ever say about it. Wrong, I know but I realise now I am adult that she just couldn't deal with it. After the court case was over and the man went to prison it was never spoken about in our house again. All this left me and my sister feeling we were guilty in some way, so although we talked about it between ourselves, we never talked it through with anyone else, certainly not our parents and there was no counselling, no reparation, no nothing. Did a prison sentence stop this man - no - years later I read about another case in the newspaper - he had moved away and committed another offence/s - again he received a prison sentence. I must admit when I saw the newspaper report I felt vindicated and that a weight had been lifted off of me. Because this time the crime he committed had nothing to do with me, I finally realised the truth.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 01:23 PM

I relate to your line - this just left you and your sister feeling guilty ... because it was never discussed. That would have that impact on you. its as if you have brought about some disgrace to the family and exactly why - I kept quiet, I felt my Mother would 'never' forgive me for reporting the events to her or the police ....So - family is everything in these cases ...
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2013, 03:49 PM

I hear what you say, but I was always told tell your grandparents if necessary, and I certainly would have done, if children are not taught at an early age what is right and what is wrong, what chance have they got.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-06-2013, 04:09 PM

I agree Arfa - and its good that you had 'family' (in the true sense of the word) in your life ... I loved my grandmother and she was the one I wanted to run to, but as I sat in a church, thinking and praying what to do, visions of my nan 'confronting' my Mother, for leaving me with this ogre of a man - was to awful to comprehend, so, I waited until my Mother chose to come and get me - 2 weeks later....
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

20-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Its the 'media' you should be having an issue with - not the victims .....
Granted the media exacerbate the problem ... they have become the willing mouth piece for an influx of 'alleged' victims. Doubtless to the extent of encouraging some to 'come out' with their claims. Genuine or otherwise.

However .. much as I could write a longer post I doubt whether you'd even read it. So shan't waste my time.

Grant me one thing at least ... I have a more balanced view of the problems rife with historic abuse cases. That is to say proving it, that vital step needed from an accusation to gaining a conviction. Yet the press have often enacted a public trial ... with judge, jury and executioner anyway.
Whereas you actually just focus on the victims ... to the point of not even seeming to consider that any could be making a false allegation or maximizing it for financial gain.

And after all that ... it was still a flippin long post so you probably haven't read it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2013, 09:03 AM

And you - give the impression you dont believe 'any' victim, you consider them to be money grabbers so you do not have a 'balanced' view at all.
Whereas I have said on many occasions, in different threads, - lets wait and see if he is in fact 'guilty' as with Rolf Harris and William Roach etc...
You - on the other hand, even when S. Hall 'admits' his crimes - still 'defend' the abuser !!!
As you can see I read the above post ......
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Stuart Hall getting 15 months ... just saw a lad on the tv, get 18 months for stealing a bicycle.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

21-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
And you - give the impression you dont believe 'any' victim, you consider them to be money grabbers so you do not have a 'balanced' view at all.
Whereas I have said on many occasions, in different threads, - lets wait and see if he is in fact 'guilty' as with Rolf Harris and William Roach etc...
You - on the other hand, even when S. Hall 'admits' his crimes - still 'defend' the abuser !!!
As you can see I read the above post ......
Well .. if when I type ...
' This is not a defence of abusers. They should all get bobbit jobs.' ....
you think that is defending abusers?

You were unhappy about the length of his sentence.
Yet you were not too concerned that the rape charge had not been pursued whereas myself I would have much preferred to see him in the dock over that one ... to nail the b*stard.

Yes .. I do wonder with some of these historic cases just how serious some of these old allegations were. And agreed 13 women is a persuasive number ... and he admitted his guilt.
But the day after his trial and sentencing ... we got to read about one of his victims saying
When I was 12 he got me to read passages from a sex manual.
He was grooming me.
When I was 14 he felt my breasts.
When I was 15 he gave me a lift in his car, with some friends, and told us to come back when we were 16.

Another one has told the press he kissed her .... and she was revolted because he put his tongue in her mouth.

So if anything ... it occurs to me that women who claim things like this are actually doing a dis-service to the real victims who suffered. The sheer weight of alleged victims with stories like that reduce it to a circus.

Hence I call it a farce.
mothballs
england
mothballs is female 

21-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Stuart Hall getting 15 months ... just saw a lad on the tv, get 18 months for stealing a bicycle.
But we can go on and on about the disparity of sentencing can't we?

Was it in May a chap who groped two young girls on his allotment got an 18 month sentence ... suspended for 2 years. The judge decided against giving him a custodial sentence because it was claimed the man would lose his job and it would be detrimental and cause suffering to his own family.

That was a ridiculous judgement ... and if that can happen with recent incidences are we to be surprised at the difficulty in dealing with historic cases.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top