Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:25 AM

Re: Health warnings about alcohol

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
Unless you can email wine as an attachment.........it's ALL mine.
Bless enjoy
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:27 AM

Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:40 AM

What was that warning?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 01:05 AM

Back on topic...

I'm very much looking forward to Adrian Chiles' BBC documentary which airs tonight (Sunday 26th). In this, Chiles discusses and analyses the "average drinker" who is not anything nearing alcoholism but may have the odd pint or two or glass of wine a few times per week though doesn't pay much attention to any damage this may be causing to their liver and other internal organs. It should be an interesting programme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bhkc8b
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:23 AM

It's on tomorrow 27th
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Adrian Chiles says he was on 80 to a 100 units a week, which is pretty high. Maybe high enough to miss alcohol when reducing or stopping the intake of it. I read he is 51 years old.

I think it is around that age when many of us truly realise we have an expiry date, rather than it being something that only happens to other people. If that date is being brought forward by drinking too much alcohol then, at 51 years old, it's certainly worth doing something about it.

People a good number of years older are often heard to say 'at my age' regarding the habits that are said to be bad for health. Those of us in that category are likely to think we have made it to a fairish age anyway and just carry on as before. It isn't worth changing now. At least, that's the opinion of my brother and I. Him being in his eighties and me in my seventies. I think we'll still keep drinking our beer. Cheers!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
It's on tomorrow 27th
Thanks
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:53 AM

Having been married to an alcoholic this thread has made interesting reading.

We have all laughed at some of our past harmless drunken antics but the biggest danger with alcohol is that for some it does bring out personal inhibitions some of which are unpleasant, especially if those are of a violent nature.

Knowing yourself is surely the secret to safe drinking
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-08-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Adrian Chiles says he was on 80 to a 100 units a week, which is pretty high. Maybe high enough to miss alcohol when reducing or stopping the intake of it. I read he is 51 years old.

I think it is around that age when many of us truly realise we have an expiry date, rather than it being something that only happens to other people. If that date is being brought forward by drinking too much alcohol then, at 51 years old, it's certainly worth doing something about it.

People a good number of years older are often heard to say 'at my age' regarding the habits that are said to be bad for health. Those of us in that category are likely to think we have made it to a fairish age anyway and just carry on as before. It isn't worth changing now. At least, that's the opinion of my brother and I. Him being in his eighties and me in my seventies. I think we'll still keep drinking our beer. Cheers!
80-100 units a week is pretty crazy. That's hardly the usual amount for a casual drinker. I''ve only read a little about this programme so far (in the TV guide), so it's worth getting the full picture when the programme airs tomorrow.
I must say I was probably at that level and maybe even more when I was in the forces. That went with the lifestyle.

Now it's 3-4 bottles of light beer on a Friday night and around six pints on a Saturday afternoon (today instead this week) over about four hours. Equates to roughly 20 units per week, so I'm okay with that. Plus, I exercise regularly, my diet is good and I'm active at work. I have no imminent need for any concern.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

26-08-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Having been married to an alcoholic this thread has made interesting reading.

We have all laughed at some of our past harmless drunken antics but the biggest danger with alcohol is that for some it does bring out personal inhibitions some of which are unpleasant, especially if those are of a violent nature.

Knowing yourself is surely the secret to safe drinking
Those type of people should not drink, although it's the alcohol which brings out their bad side. They obviously are not completely naturally placid people to begin with.
I just get very chatty, giggly and fall asleep. No harm done to anyone.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top