Join for free
Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Re: EU Referendum Result - Your Views

A story here is that Cameron will remain Prime Minister until October to delay the two year trigger for Britain's exit giving time for them to renegotiate the Treaty of Rome and/or the terms of exit.

Another view is that the referendum will actually strengthen Europe by the political parties seeing what has happened in Britain and making sure it won't happen there (especially with a French and German election due)

The vote might also have given our PM the momentum to get over the line in our election (safe financial management in a turbulent world) next weekend.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
It strange how despite the advice of Jeremy Corbyn to support the Remain campaign a great many Labour voters to vote leave. It is wrong to see this as a defeat for The PM who is a decent man and has done the honourable thing. He wasn't alone on the remain side. It was a defeat (if you can call it that) for the proposal to remain in the EU, which was the policy of Labour and the Lib/Dems also.

In fact it was the areas of rock solid Labour support, mostly working class areas of the midlands and the north which brought about this victory for the Leave campaign.
For once people were able to vote for something that mattered to them and was above party politics.

Personally I think it won't be long before we receive revised offers from Brussels as an attempt to forestall a clamour for referendums by other member states and a damage limitation plan swings into action.
+1
I'm disappointed(not surprised)that the man I voted for feels he must resign.
My vote was given and I hoped he would be at the helm through the transition we face.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->

Personally I think it won't be long before we receive revised offers from Brussels as an attempt to forestall a clamour for referendums by other member states and a damage limitation plan swings into action.
I agree Rainmaker!

Maybe the EU will come forward with radical reforms as a sweetener for us to stay - and particularly as several other countries have populations who want a chance to vote in or out too.

I actually think that this is the very best chance of getting a far better deal - and then maybe putting it to the public again

Maybe voting out was the best negotiating tool ever?

Watch the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany start to edge towards a referendum now - and I've just heard Sweden wants one too.

Could it be that we will actually end up with a free trade agreement - between sovereign states, as it started off?

Friends and neighbours trading with each other - but each running their own country.
That's how it started, that's how it was originally MEANT to be...remember?????

Our young ones need to take that on board...
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
A time for calm discussion.
Though I'm sure Sinn Fein will immediately intensify their push for a united Ireland.
Northern Ireland and Scotland voted in the main to Remain .. so stranger things have happened. Perhaps they'll make their own Kingdom.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:53 AM

When I see the self righteous dour Nicola Stugeon talking and the MURDERER Martin McGuiness I wish they would .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:56 AM

Not forgetting the crap songs by The Dubliners..... Now that is murder.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:56 AM

How's this going to work then ...

Manfred Webber, German conservative MEP and close ally of Angela Merkel has said in The Telegraph...

Mr Weber also suggested that Scotland and Northern Ireland, both of which voted to stay in the EU, might continue their membership regardless of the national verdict. "It is up to them but Europe welcomes new member states. That is totally clear. Those who want to stay are welcomed in the European Union.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...istoric-decis/
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tregonsee ->
I voted out, why do you feel that you have the right to insult me?
Not to mention over 17 million other voters.
I also voted out, not because it was the best move for me, but because I believed it was the best for our country and all the people who lived here. Don't feel insulted Tregonsee, just put it down to the rantings of a poor loser.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
How's this going to work then ...

Manfred Webber, German conservative MEP and close ally of Angela Merkel has said in The Telegraph...

Mr Weber also suggested that Scotland and Northern Ireland, both of which voted to stay in the EU, might continue their membership regardless of the national verdict. "It is up to them but Europe welcomes new member states. That is totally clear. Those who want to stay are welcomed in the European Union.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...istoric-decis/

That tells me they don't understand the make up of the U.K. which means we voted the right way as we really can't have people making rules for us if they don't understand the concept.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

24-06-2016, 12:00 PM

All those in Scotland that voted remain will now vote for an independent Scotland so they can remain in the EU.

That's the only way I can see.

Page 7 of 20 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top