Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 12:09 PM

Re: Shoreham Plane Crash

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I still plan on going to Clacton on Thursday for their airshow, and I understand the programme will remain the same. I hope to enjoy my time there, and hope to still see the Red Arrows and the Vulcan, but I'm sure everyone will still be thinking of Saturday and all the victims. As I will certainly do so.

The Clacton Air Show is different than Shorehams as it quite rightly and safely displays over the sea. Something that no doubt will now be looked for at Shoreham. Whatever the reason whether pilot error or a malfunction this area is now totally unsuitable for over head aerial displays.

Glad to see that prompt action has been taken and even if this is considered 'knee jerk' many of us who witnessed Saturdays tragedy will agree with it

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has imposed new rules "until further notice" while the authorities conduct an investigation.

The regulator said vintage aircraft displays over land will be limited to flypasts.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 12:57 PM

Eastbourne is over the sea and relies on donations from the public. I was there 10 days ago and the show was cancelled on the Thursday due to weather and we were coming back the next day, I wonder if I can get my money back that I put in the bucket
The wife and I went on a Red Arrows simulator, and I can understand how easy it is to get these acrobatic flights wrong, we were in no danger whatsoever but it did make us jump a bit when a plane passed our nose so quick.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Ironic that a spokesperson has confirmed that the Red Arrows have always refused offers to perform at Shoreham as they believe the danger level to be too high and have feared a "major event" ,as they consider that there is nowhere to put a plane down without killing some-one.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 01:33 PM

And for Meg, a aviation fan said that Airshows are a major industry in the UK with 270 displays, the second most popular spectator sport after football.

With good fortune next months 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain will not be affected.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
And for Meg, a aviation fan said that Airshows are a major industry in the UK with 270 displays, the second most popular spectator sport after football.

With good fortune next months 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain will not be affected.
And there is 55 more airshows scheduled for this year.
A professor of aviation security at Coventry university, has described banning aerobatics at airshows as draconian.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

25-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
And there is 55 more airshows scheduled for this year.
A professor of aviation security at Coventry university, has described banning aerobatics at airshows as draconian.
And I agree, todays population have devised new and eaiser ways to cause early death and brain damage.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Ironic that a spokesperson has confirmed that the Red Arrows have always refused offers to perform at Shoreham as they believe the danger level to be too high and have feared a "major event" ,as they consider that there is nowhere to put a plane down without killing some-one.
It is also ironic that their decision for the reasons given was not considered as a valid reason to also rethink the show Mike. 2 newspaper stories years apart showing that they have consistently refused point blank to do an aerobatic display because of the safety factor .

There is nowhere for them to put a plane down without killing someone. Every year the organisers apply for a Red Arrows display but they turn them down.” As you can read in the comments a fly past would be enough for some but not others

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13623...tunts_at_show/

2011 for a flypast only
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/91422...r_spectacular/
dukeofearl
south coast uk

25-08-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
It is also ironic that their decision for the reasons given was not considered as a valid reason to also rethink the show Mike. 2 newspaper stories years apart showing that they have consistently refused point blank to do an aerobatic display because of the safety factor .

There is nowhere for them to put a plane down without killing someone. Every year the organisers apply for a Red Arrows display but they turn them down.” As you can read in the comments a fly past would be enough for some but not others

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/13623...tunts_at_show/

2011 for a flypast only
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/91422...r_spectacular/
Solo, you may know better than me. Being a reader of the Argus it seems that the airport has been in financial trouble for many years , perhaps much maintained from its cash input from the show. Hence do you believe that this blinkered logic.
Believe also the short flights to France and Spain have been stopped, so sorry the romantic meal is cancelled
solo
UK

25-08-2015, 03:01 PM

Solo, you may know better than me. Being a reader of the Argus it seems that the airport has been in financial trouble for many years , perhaps much maintained from its cash input from the show. Hence do you believe that this blinkered logic.
Believe also the short flights to France and Spain have been stopped, so sorry the romantic meal is cancelled
As Truffles have now taken over the catering you may be grateful of the cancellation

Does logic and money ever work well together Mike !. There were high hopes when City Airways Ltd (Brighton City Airways) bought Shoreham, but it was short lived and as this webcam shows the birds out number the flights these days

http://www.flybrighton.com/webcam
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 03:58 PM

The Clacton airshow director was on the breakfast show this morning, saying they adhere to strict safety rules, and have done for ?23-24 years.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top