Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 03:59 PM

Re: A&E In Crisis

Julie, I understand your frustration re your husband's knee but you say he has lost 3 stone and has another 7 stone to go? Being 10 stone overweight is a serious health risk in any circumstances, and you don't get to that size without a serious imbalance between what you take in and what you put out in energy. I get your point that his knee prevents him exercising (although swimming should still be possible) but it sounds as though he has been seriously overeating for years. So good on him for losing 3 stone, and hope the rest keeps coming off too!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Julie, I understand your frustration re your husband's knee but you say he has lost 3 stone and has another 7 stone to go? Being 10 stone overweight is a serious health risk in any circumstances, and you don't get to that size without a serious imbalance between what you take in and what you put out in energy. I get your point that his knee prevents him exercising (although swimming should still be possible) but it sounds as though he has been seriously overeating for years. So good on him for losing 3 stone, and hope the rest keeps coming off too!
When he first had knee pain he was ideal weight ran his milkround every day. Over the past 12 years he put weight on as he could no longer do his milkround and became depressed and gave up exercise, comfort ate etc.

All this could have been avoided if they had treated his knee in the first place.

And I believe the weight they want him to get down to is unrealistic, 6 ft 2in and 8 stone would be very thin indeed I imagine.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 04:26 PM

.... I do envisage a time when NHS staff will be so beaten down that they will lay down tools and strike. For now, all that is happening is that they are leaving in droves for foreign lands or retiring early if they can afford to.
Well said orangutan.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

And I believe the weight they want him to get down to is unrealistic, 6 ft 2in and 8 stone would be very thin indeed I imagine.
8 stone???? Surely not. Something is not right there.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:40 PM

Yes Ania darlin' I've already said that too - I'm only 5'5" and weight 13st 12lb and yet I've had both hips and both knees replaced and one hip replaced a second time, so Juie's Husband's Doctor is NOT correct in wanting a man over 6' tall slim to only 8st - that is totally ridiculous!!! - he'll look like someone from either Belsen or Changhi at that weight.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 08:57 PM

I agree.

I am a petite 5 ft and 8 stone.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2013, 09:27 PM

I'm 5ft 2 and when I was 7 stone 4lbs I was like a stick insect.

8 stone for anyone over 5ft 5 height (in my opinion) would be dangerously skinny
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 05:57 AM

First of all Julie, congratulations to hubby for having the will power to lose weight.
I am 5ft - 6in. my BIM is around 10st - 9, the weight your hubby has been told to get down to, is crazy. go on to a What is my BIM?, giving all his weight and height and then you will see what hubby should be, my guess is about 11st, - 12lb.

For knee replacement quite often you are asked if you want eppidural, my guess is it could be done with this method, also it is better for the patient because they don't take the machine off till most of the trauma has subsided.
I had all 3 knee replacements done with this method, I even had an hernia done in the same way.
The worst part is putting the needle down the backbone, as a lot of women will tell you for giving birth.
Now you don't have to hear what is going on because they will give you earphones to listen to music, or a mid sedation can be administered.
In my opinion I would get a second consultants from another.
But if hubby is happy to go on losing weight, which will be beneficial to him, and his new knee, go for it, but check the weight he should be, if he gets down to the weight suggested
is crazy in my opinion.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Yes Julie darlin' - like Arthur I too have had three hip and two knee replacements, all done under an epidural and I was conscious throughout each, however unlike Arthuir I wasn't given earphones to listen to music. Instead I was listening to surgeon sawing at my bones (I couldn't see what he was doing) and then hammering the metal joints in place. I wasn't worried by what I could hear and wasn't phased by any of it.

I think, your OH needs to chat to his GP and tell him what the surgeon said and specifically the weight he's supposed to get down to. In all likelihood the GP will say, as we all do that that is ridiculous!!!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
8 stone for anyone over 5ft 5 height (in my opinion) would be dangerously skinny
I would agree and it shows how times have changed. I'm 5'6" tall and back when I was about 28, my weight started to drop - because I was always chasing my tail to get things done and often couldn't be bothered to eat, I was just too tired. On visits to the GP, she would insist on weighing me and finally warned me that as I only, then, weighed 7st, if it dropped below that, I was going to be sent to hospital to find out what was wrong; how times have changed. I suspect the weight loss demands now are a way of reducing the numbers on the waiting lists.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top