Join for free
Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Re: GP Surgeries

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Weren't the government saying just a day or two ago that the NHS is NOT underfunded?
I do think it is a growing problem that so many GP's are leaving their jobs as well.
My surgery has been advertising for an extra doctor for over 12 months now.
Thing I don't get is, where are they all going? Are they going abroad to work? Are they going to a totally different area, are they going private only? Or they packing up their vocation altogther?

Just an idle thought here, are GP's allowed to prescribe their own medication, or do they have to see a doctor?
They have a GP just as we do. (I watch Doctors...that's how I know these things!! )
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 11:56 AM

I think doctors don't diagnose things properly, if they did it would save money, time and distress.
Because you only get enough time to talk about one symptom perhaps the other symptoms you have may point to a condition that would be recognised.
This business of " take these and come back if there's no improvement" doesn't help anybody.
I took angina medication for two years before I saw a consultant who said I didn't have it, medication for acid reflux which caused alarming symptoms which led to bowel cancer investigation which were distressing and unnecessary.
I'm sure millions would be saved if a proper diagnosis was made earlier by listening to all symptoms together and checking information from different sources.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:03 PM

It's a shame we don't all live in Letherbridge, the doctors there have all the time in the World.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:07 PM

If they were more like Dr. House it would help, although I don't fancy them breaking into my house to check for mould spores!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think doctors don't diagnose things properly, if they did it would save money, time and distress.
Because you only get enough time to talk about one symptom perhaps the other symptoms you have may point to a condition that would be recognised.
This business of " take these and come back if there's no improvement" doesn't help anybody.
I took angina medication for two years before I saw a consultant who said I didn't have it, medication for acid reflux which caused alarming symptoms which led to bowel cancer investigation which were distressing and unnecessary.
I'm sure millions would be saved if a proper diagnosis was made earlier by listening to all symptoms together and checking information from different sources.
Well said TessA. I have a couple of problems that I have had 3 diagnoses for so far.... all wrong... so I am going to the docs on Wednesday and have told them that I will not leave till they give a correct diagnosis or tell me what steps they are going to take to find one
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

15-01-2017, 12:53 PM

I'm going to do the same this week Twink.
I think I'll write down each symptom and how I think they're connected and what I think the real problem is after looking on the Internet and finding things which are actually connected to one condition.
Then I'll ask for relevant tests and referral see what happens! Good Luck!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'm going to do the same this week Twink.
I think I'll write down each symptom and how I think they're connected and what I think the real problem is after looking on the Internet and finding things which are actually connected to one condition.
Then I'll ask for relevant tests and referral see what happens! Good Luck!
Good luck to you too.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's a shame we don't all live in Letherbridge, the doctors there have all the time in the World.
And they do home visits, follow the patient to the hospital, stay out all day and don't seem to be bogged down with paperwork.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well said TessA. I have a couple of problems that I have had 3 diagnoses for so far.... all wrong... so I am going to the docs on Wednesday and have told them that I will not leave till they give a correct diagnosis or tell me what steps they are going to take to find one

Tess & Twinks, I do so agree with you. This is what I said earlier, they nearly always write a prescription instead. I feel this can be a stab in the dark if they don't know what's wrong yet.
A few years ago I was offered some medication which really worried me, so I did some delving about it. The possible side effects were horrendous e.g. losing one's hair and teeth, plus possible liver damage!! There were other frightening affects too.
This medication was not a short term dose, it would have been for the rest of my life.
I know that many patients never experience any such side affects, but I found them so frightening, and also the thought of life long medication with this drug realy upsetting.

I gave it a great deal of thought, and decided to decline the drug. This was not only because of the reasons above, but more because the Consultant had not made a conclusive diagnosis.
It played on my mind and I kept thinking "supposing he's wrong", and "why doesn't he get a diagnosis before he gives me this sort of horror drug"?
I remember thinking at the moment my liver is just fine thanks very much, so why risk liver damage, taking a drug before he's even sure what's wrong? How can they prescribe without a diagnosis?

Some months later I had a follow up appt. with him. He asked how I was feeling and I said I was fine, and explained that I did not want the meds and why.
He words were - "Well I must say you look alright, so as long as you are sure. . . ."

I did find out there were better tests available, and asked why I had not had them, then we would know for sure whether the meds were needed or not.
The reply was . . "Oh, you won't get those done on the NHS."

So all these years I could have been taking that drug, maybe rotting my internal organs, for nothing.
Touch wood I have never had a return of those symptoms and have always remained well except for the normal nuisances of advancing age.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Ive just filled out a NHS questionnaire about my experiences of late with GP and healthcare in general. It was hard to be positive about the experience.

Page 7 of 16 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top