Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 11:55 AM

Re: Photo Competition?

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I am struggling to explain this in any simpler terms...

I am setting up a snapshot competition primarily aimed at people, like myself, who enjoy taking a photo but have neither the desire nor the wherewithal to post edit their snaps.

As I am setting up the competition then I have decided the format for the competition which is open to all members of the forum to enter, as long as they are content with the rules and parameters that are laid down for it.

However, if you neither like nor agree with those parameters then do not enter, and why not set up your own competition using your own preferred rules and parameters, rather than complain about this one?
It's a finer point we're talking about here. Put forward so that so that we could all take part in one competition rather than fragmenting it. I really don't see the objections. So be it though.

This editing business is not some sort of dark art and hardly takes any more knowledge than getting a photo from the camera to a forum. Such a kerfuffle over a minor point.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I don't think anyone is singling you out Mart. Personally, I think a little brightness adjustment is ok (I have to do that to all my pics tbh) and some cropping of course; I think it's when people start deleting objects adding colour filters and sharpening to oblivion that it becomes a bit fake (for this purpose).

I agree with that Dongle.

Mart, don't stop posting your pictures, these rules are only to stop the extremes as is said above.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:20 PM

To my mind one should always try and present the best of a photo. This could mean editing. I doubt very much you ever see a photo that has not been edited in some way or other, it is part of photography, same as a camera and lens is.

Maybe because members don't know how to edit is why they are against it?
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:23 PM

Jeeze!...wharra palaver...stop sniping and start snapping..looking forward to seeing all You clever photographers photo's
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
To my mind one should always try and present the best of a photo. This could mean editing. I doubt very much you ever see a photo that has not been edited in some way or other, it is part of photography, same as a camera and lens is.

Maybe because members don't know how to edit is why they are against it?
If a camera & lens are good enough, there shouldn't be any need to edit a photo except maybe a crop. In my case anyway & a snap photo competition is all about the subject matter & not how much you can photoshop it or whatever app that's used to change it. It's about how well it fits with the theme decided on.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 12:46 PM

Of all the forums I've been a member of (or been a Moderator of) over 20 or more years, this is the only one where this editing subject and objections to it have come up. Photos are always just taken at face value, so I genuinely can't see a reason for the rule.

I agree that a straight photo shouldn't be altered with bits taken out or put in but that's not the entirety of editing. Editing is cropping, resizing, reducing the file size, sharpening, brightening, darkening and possibly straightening uprights when they are bent over by lens distortion.

Maybe realspeed is right in saying that those objecting don't know how to do these things and are unwilling to learn a few simple steps in a photo editor, many of which are free and good.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:38 PM

At this rate nothing will get done!

I could argue unfairness as someone may have an all singing and dancing camera that edits light, horizon, camera shake etc without touching a button. Mine points and shoots, if it does anything else I don't know how to fiddle with it.

I think Barry's good to offer to do it, I wouldn't be able to do all the fiddling with numbers and polls etc.

Even if he did leave my last photo out!

I'm going to get me hair cut.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 01:44 PM

My final word on the subject...

I will set up a snapshot competition open to all members who are happy to comply with the rules as stated.

If you don't like the rules or don't wish to comply with the rules then don't enter.

Thank you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I can't understand why editing is an issue for you and some others either, so it's an impasse.
Mart, I think you have misunderstood what Barry is saying. He is not saying Editing in general is cheating, he is saying the fun competition here is for unedited photos only, this ensures everyone is on the same level. The cheating is when someone ignores Barry's rules and posts their edited photo anyway.

The solution would be for those more wise than the majority of us here, to start a another competition for those more experienced photographers just to see how it goes.
I'm sure those of us 'point & shooters' would still love to see all your photos in that competition too.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top