Join for free
Page 75 of 83 « First < 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 > Last »
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 02:42 PM

Re: Who Is Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The England I grew up in we all spoke English and people came here wanting to become as English as they could to fit in they didn't want us to change to fit in with their customs and ways or provide interpreters in GP surgeries and councils etc.

We were becoming tolerant and anti gay was becoming much less but not when you bring so many people from countries where being gay is a crime will we be tolerant any more.

Personally I believe that abortion has become another form of contraception for some is abhorrent and should be stopped. But this isn't about that so we will have to agree to differ on that one.
The England you grew up in also had colonies all over the world, which the British had wrested from their indigenous populations by force. Did we ever try and 'fit in' or wasn't it a case of imposing our ways on their cultures? Of course people should learn the language - and the vast majority want to, and do.

Your experience of tolerance is at variance to the people I know of my generation. Anyone foreign, let alone different colour was treated badly. The very few Asian kids at my senior school were isolated and bullied. They were desperate to fit in - and we did our best to prevent it happening. That is why the Windrush passengers (who were encouraged to come) were treated like creatures from another planet, and shunted into the slums, and handed the worst jobs - even though many of them were better educated than the people they worked for or lived amongst.

None of us ever knew - or were aware of - anyone who was gay. If we had, we'd have slaughtered them as poofs and queers, and bullied them; but someone fleeing places like Uganda just for being homosexual would be sent back if you had your way? To be tortured or murdered?

In fact any kid who was different in any way back in the 50s and 60s was treated badly. Irish were just thick and the subject of jokes. That is what life was like then, because none of us knew any better. I am so grateful that those days are almost gone, and that sort of ignorance and prejudice will die with our generation.

Oh yes, and no woman having one, ever thinks abortion is a form of contraception; do you really think women think abortion is so trivial an issue? And you would 'stop it' would you? How? Is that another policy of Ukip?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote Minasota ...... [IMG]However, we did have a national railway system, an NHS, and we did actually make things like cars, ships, motorcycles, furniture, clothing, and electronics. I grew up optimistic as things got better and continued to do so, and I had the funny feeling I lived in a country that cared - despite having a rich ruling class.[/IMG]

Its a good post .......
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
The England you grew up in also had colonies all over the world, which the British had wrested from their indigenous populations by force. Did we ever try and 'fit in' or wasn't it a case of imposing our ways on their cultures? Of course people should learn the language - and the vast majority want to, and do.

Your experience of tolerance is at variance to the people I know of my generation. Anyone foreign, let alone different colour was treated badly. The very few Asian kids at my senior school were isolated and bullied. They were desperate to fit in - and we did our best to prevent it happening. That is why the Windrush passengers (who were encouraged to come) were treated like creatures from another planet, and shunted into the slums, and handed the worst jobs - even though many of them were better educated than the people they worked for or lived amongst.

None of us ever knew - or were aware of - anyone who was gay. If we had, we'd have slaughtered them as poofs and queers, and bullied them; but someone fleeing places like Uganda just for being homosexual would be sent back if you had your way? To be tortured or murdered?

In fact any kid who was different in any way back in the 50s and 60s was treated badly. Irish were just thick and the subject of jokes. That is what life was like then, because none of us knew any better. I am so grateful that those days are almost gone, and that sort of ignorance and prejudice will die with our generation.

Oh yes, and no woman having one, ever thinks abortion is a form of contraception; do you really think women think abortion is so trivial an issue? And you would 'stop it' would you? How? Is that another policy of Ukip?

No matey, its yet another attempt at foisting religious bigotry on the rest of us because abortion is presumably against Julie's religious scruples.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
No matey, its yet another attempt at foisting religious bigotry on the rest of us because abortion is presumably against Julie's religious scruples.
It was against my scruples long before I found I had a Faith so wrong UJ it is nothing to do with religion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:01 PM

I didn't grow up in a colonial Britain as far as I know we had no colonies by the time I was growing up. So again wrong.

And yes some women do have multiple abortions as see it as contraception.
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 04:20 PM

I didn't grow up in a colonial Britain as far as I know we had no colonies by the time I was growing up. So again wrong.

And yes some women do have multiple abortions as see it as contraception.
So you weren't alive when Kenya (1963), Uganda (1962), Tanzania (1961), Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) (1980),Jamaica (1961), Trinidad (1962) Cyprus (1960),Malta (1964), Malaysia (1963) Hong Kong (1997) ??????? To only name a few.

You are on the wrong forum if you're not that old.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

09-06-2014, 04:35 PM

So you weren't alive when Kenya (1963), Uganda (1962), Tanzania (1961), Zimbabwe (Rhodesia) (1980),Jamaica (1961), Trinidad (1962) Cyprus (1960),Malta (1964), Malaysia (1963) Hong Kong (1997) ??????? To only name a few.

You are on the wrong forum if you're not that old.
I was born in 1962 so I would hardly remember those days but still be eligible to be a member. I didn't become interested in politics etc until I was about 15 or 16 by then we had no colonies at all I thought. I barely remember much before I was 5 and obviously forgot Hong Kong was actually a colony it was planned to be given back years before it actually changed hands I believe.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 05:25 PM

It was against my scruples long before I found I had a Faith so wrong UJ it is nothing to do with religion.
Well said Julie.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 06:12 PM

'Scuples' being code for religious bigotry, irrespective of your actual religious conversion.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
'Scuples' being code for religious bigotry, irrespective of your actual religious conversion.
Scruples: a doubt or hesitation that troubles the conscience or the difficulty of determining whether something is right..:

Nothing to do with religion.

Page 75 of 83 « First < 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top