Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2020, 08:35 PM

Re: Smart motorways

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Very Very worrying.

Oddly, you would think that anyone, with even the smallest amount of intelligence, would know that safety has been totally put at risk if there is no place to go if your car packs up.

Hopefully victims will start demanding legal response to their experiences.
I think if I were to be injured due to the lack of a hard shoulder, I should certainly be pursuing the possibility of legal redress and compensation due to the lack of a safe place into which to escape, but to whom? The Highways Agency?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:03 PM

https://www.thomasduntonsolicitors.c...mart-motorway/

Somebody has to be held to account.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...t-causes-them/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:52 PM

Excellent. Thank you for this.

I wish them the best of luck with their legal action, not only for themselves but also for all users of smart motorways.

Hopefully, it would take only one successful action, with a large payout and consequences for the proponents of smart motorways, to bring about the changes we are all asking for.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.thomasduntonsolicitors.c...mart-motorway/

Somebody has to be held to account.
The families of those lost on SMs ought to get together and bring a class action against Highways England , it could cost them millions if the case was won and concentrate minds.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
The families of those lost on SMs ought to get together and bring a class action against Highways England , it could cost them millions if the case was won and concentrate minds.
It would unquestionably fail even if it ever reached a court.

The "State of the Art" defence would be insurmountable (according to my dil who is a lawyer)
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:20 PM

I'd sooner add hours to my journey time than risk life and limb on a smart motorway.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It would unquestionably fail even if it ever reached a court.

The "State of the Art" defence would be insurmountable (according to my dil who is a lawyer)
I think that public opinion might just sway that the other way.

After the number of people killed due to this poorly thought-out idea reaches a sufficiently high number, I think all the self-serving lawyers in the country will be overruled.

I think that within another five years (approaching the next GE), the number of deaths on smart motoways will have risen to such numbers that the next election could well be fought on this matter as much as any other.

Changes will then take place and inside lanes will be restored to hard shoulders. Just a pity that so many people have to die unnecessarily in the meantime.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I'd sooner add hours to my journey time than risk life and limb on a smart motorway.
Personally, I will avoid the innermost lane at all times and, in addition, keep a weather-eye out for people suddenly swerving out into the second lane when they see a disabled vehicle in what used to be the hard shoulder.

If all of us avoid the innermost lane, things would be a lot safer, and in so doing we would be effectively maintaining the innermost lane as an empty hard shoulder.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Personally, I will avoid the innermost lane at all times and, in addition, keep a weather-eye out for people suddenly swerving out into the second lane when they see a disabled vehicle in what used to be the hard shoulder.

If all of us avoid the innermost lane, things would be a lot safer, and in so doing we would be effectively maintaining the innermost lane as an empty hard shoulder.
What if you had a puncture or, God forbid, a tyre blow out? At least with a puncture you can limp to the next "Safe area" lay-by, which could be up to 1½ miles down the road. With a blow out, you'd be stranded with just your "flashers" to try and keep you safe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
What if you had a puncture or, God forbid, a tyre blow out? At least with a puncture you can limp to the next "Safe area" lay-by, which could be up to 1½ miles down the road. With a blow out, you'd be stranded with just your "flashers" to try and keep you safe.
Simple. I'd pull in to the innermost lane (which used to be the hard shoulder) and hope that other motorists are following the suggestion I made above.

If I think I could 'limp on' to the next lay-by.

On the other hand, if it were for example a complete electrical failure, I'd pull in to the innermost lane (which used to be the hard shoulder), get everyone out behind the barrier, and keep well back from my car which would likely be hit by someone who is not paying attention (of which I'm sure there are many).

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top