Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Cat woman
Romsey
Cat woman is female 

10-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Re: My potential dog ownership is taking a step closer

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If I knew for sure I wasn't allowed one, I would either move house, or stay put and go without. I'll tell you why, and it's because if I 'sneaked one in' and somebody reported me, the council would probably make me get rid of him/her.
If I had grown to love it, that would distress me greatly, and also, it wouldn't be fair to the dog to lose a home he was happy and settled in, and suddenly passed on through no fault of his own.
Thank you Mups, I am being selfish , it's such a shame maybe I could discuss with council and ask any possibility of moving house to have one .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2015, 11:34 PM

That might be a better idea, Carole. I understand sometimes you can swap council properties, so it might be worth a try.
Perhaps another thing to think about before going to that trouble is, how do you think your cat would take to the idea?
Good luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 07:23 AM

Hello Carole and welcome to the boards.

I have lived here for over 21 years with no one else having a dog, apart from one couple at the beginning who were told they couldn't replace it, but they were from a separate housing association (3 on our site) and they moved out.

I always assumed that I wouldn't be allowed one and when having a face to face with our services manager a few weeks ago she said, 'it depends on the terms of your lease.' So we got it out and checked. It said '...unless you have written permission...' A few more weeks after we talked about it again and she said she personally would give me the permission and wouldn't discriminate against me being in a flat, or as a lease holder, and was happy I was going about it the legal way.

She has seen dogs in properties where permission hadn't been sought or granted but as a dog owner herself said she wouldn't tell them to get rid, so has turned a blind eye, if you like.

I would much rather go down the right path and seek and get the consent, which I have got. Of 40 flats here I will be a sole dog owner, but will make sure my neighbours have no cause for complaint, having fought for my right to own a dog for so many years!!

So Carole, I empathise with you but can't tell you what you should so, unless ask if the Council can make an exception in your case. My manager knows of my stress levels with the tenants upstairs, knows of my loneliness and poor health, all of which I put on the form to help. And as she said, a copy has gone in my file.

Good luck.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 07:26 AM

If I knew for sure I wasn't allowed one, I would either move house, or stay put and go without. I'll tell you why, and it's because if I 'sneaked one in' and somebody reported me, the council would probably make me get rid of him/her.
If I had grown to love it, that would distress me greatly, and also, it wouldn't be fair to the dog to lose a home he was happy and settled in, and suddenly passed on through no fault of his own.
Re your last para, that's why I've made sure I've got the written permission.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Carole, it's always tricky introducing a dog into a household with a cat in residence. Kittens would be more accepting but with adult cats, it's not a great idea. As you know, cats, unlike dogs are not pack animals.

However, as a child, I was desperate to have a dog. My parents said NO and adopted a 6 month old tabby cat. She was lovely and very placid but not the 'companion' I longed for.

Some years later, they gave in and bought a puppy !
The cat, who was very accommodating, was not best pleased and it took a long time for her to accept the dog. After that, she managed to ignore the dog and they 'tolerated' each other for the rest of their lives.

You may be lucky and find that your cat will settle OK - they are pretty accepting of most situations given time - but it's not usually the best partnership.
What I mean is, the better way is to have the dog first and then adopt a kitten ...

Best of luck
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Re your last para, that's why I've made sure I've got the written permission.

I'm sure that's the best way Jazzi. Better to be safe than sorry. It would be lovely to have your little friend for Christmas, wouldn't it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

11-10-2015, 06:32 PM

I'm sure that's the best way Jazzi. Better to be safe than sorry. It would be lovely to have your little friend for Christmas, wouldn't it.
Certainly would!
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 02:25 PM

It sounds very exciting for you Jazzi! I hope it doesn't take too long for you to find your perfect companion. I wouldn't get a springer, though - I look after my friend's springer sometimes and she is in perpetual motion and wears me out. Also she can be a bit destructive in the house if I don't watch her. And I guess you don't want a barky dog if you are in a flat. Can't wait to hear what dog chooses you!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cat woman ->
i would love to own a dog but I live in council flat ground floor and there are plenty of places to go for a walk, But the council rules pets out. I do have a cat tho we use to have 2 but one ran away never came back sadly.
What do you think I should do, as I have noticed a couple of residents with dogs, maybe I should,ask we have just signed on for five years residency.
Do I sneak one in .?
We have dogs we simply sent a letter to the council explaining what we wanted and were amazed how quickly they agreed, I think from what they said they were so amazed anyone followed the rules and asked they felt they couldn't refuse worth asking IMO
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-10-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We have dogs we simply sent a letter to the council explaining what we wanted and were amazed how quickly they agreed, I think from what they said they were so amazed anyone followed the rules and asked they felt they couldn't refuse worth asking IMO
I was going to PM you, Julie, to ask if you went about getting permission.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top