Join for free
Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 11:34 AM

Re: Gout! Again....

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Great photos, Foxy. Has anyone ever told you - you have piano players toes??!!
Originally Posted by Mags ->
Give us a tune Bob!
Since you mention it...
It's not something I'd considered previously....
I shall have to look into the possibility of tinkling the ivories with my toes....That would be 'Grand'....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Cherries do indeed reduce the uric acid in the blood, which is the cause of gout. Gout occurs when the body can't process the build up of uric acid so the acid crystalises and settles in the joints causing pain.

Taking diuretics and blood thinning drugs can cause the build up of uric acid and it has nothing to do with drinking port.
Thanks PooBear, I do take a 75mg Aspirin daily, I wonder if that has added to my distress...
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
Cherries do indeed reduce the uric acid in the blood, which is the cause of gout. Gout occurs when the body can't process the build up of uric acid so the acid crystalises and settles in the joints causing pain.

Taking diuretics and blood thinning drugs can cause the build up of uric acid and it has nothing to do with drinking port.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks PooBear, I do take a 75mg Aspirin daily, I wonder if that has added to my distress...
The above posts may have answered a question I've had for some while now. As you will probably realise OGF that me taking 75mg of aspirin daily is due to the same reason as yourself. I too also suffer from something similar to yourself which I guessed is a type of gout, my right big toe is very painful from time to time but just goes of its own accord, without drugs or any medical intervention.
This is not due to anything alcoholic as I am teetotal.

Many years' ago I had a motorcycle accident when my left knee was badly damaged. In the following years it's been very painful, so much so that I had to have a procedure (laparoscopy) a couple of times where the knee was cleaned and washed out. The consultant informed me I have pseudo-gout, a type of arthritis he said, in that knee due to the injury. I often thought the pain in my big toe was similar but that somehow it had migrated from my knee on the other leg, very strange indeed.

Now though, on seeing the first post above, this could be the result of taking blood thinning drugs. That could well be the answer so thanks for your post PooBear. I can definitely sympathise with the pain though OGF, it's excruciating at times, then unlike your's, within two or three days it's gone completely! Unlike yourself though I don't do any running so am resting it most of the time.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-02-2021, 06:17 PM

Thanks Baz and I also think PooBear has hit the nail on the head. I watched a doctor on youtube explain that the reason why gout affects the toe joint and lower leg is mainly down to circulation and blood flow, as the blood pools in the legs it gives time for the crystals to assemble and enter the joints. He recommends sitting with the legs higher than your heart occasionally to avoid the pooling.

Cold weather can also be a cause, thickening the blood and making it harder to circulate, especially in the extremities.
Previous to this latest attack I had to run through deep puddles and arrived home with cold wet feet...

I don't believe food is the main antagonist here Baz, although producing high levels of uric acid in the blood leaves us open for attacks, but I believe it's mostly other things that allow the crystals to form. People with high levels of uric acid don't necessarily get gout, but it has to be present when you do....

Apparently, only 30% of uric acid comes from the food we eat, and the other 70% is made in the liver. It's the kidneys job to expel it though, so less than perfect kidneys as we get older could also lead to a build up.
I've been taking allopurinol all this year, after last years brief attack, but it doesn't seem to have done any good, this years attack has been a lot worse than last year and lasted a lot longer. I may kick allopurinol into the long grass.

Our hearts are not as efficient as they used to be Baz, I can tell this by the deterioration I've noticed with my running. Far more severe than just age alone. So this is something that we both must endure. Keep yourself warm Baz and raise your legs when possible, but be sure to close the curtains when you do...all the best Baz....

PS:- I'm also practically teatotal Baz, with just a glass of red wine with my Sunday dinner....
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 06:31 PM

Thanks for all the information OGF, perhaps we both need to find some cherry liquid drink, a healthy one though, and try that? That motorcycle accident and subsequent knee problems I mentioned happened over 50 years' ago now, the apparent 'gout' in my big toe didn't start until I was taking aspirin and clopidogrel, another blood thinning drug from 2006, just 14 or so years' ago. That rather points to those being the possible cause of the 'gout' problems. I guess our problems could have been much worse, everything considered. None of us last forever so at 70+ we are probably not doing too badly.

I will bear in mind about closing the curtains though!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-02-2021, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for all the information OGF, perhaps we both need to find some cherry liquid drink, a healthy one though, and try that? That motorcycle accident and subsequent knee problems I mentioned happened over 50 years' ago now, the apparent 'gout' in my big toe didn't start until I was taking aspirin and clopidogrel, another blood thinning drug from 2006, just 14 or so years' ago. That rather points to those being the possible cause of the 'gout' problems. I guess our problems could have been much worse, everything considered. None of us last forever so at 70+ we are probably not doing too badly.

I will bear in mind about closing the curtains though!
I had to take clopidogrel for one year after I hand my stents fitted Baz, to stop the blood clotting. I then continued with the aspirin.
My first gout attack was last year and it only lasted for a couple of days, but this time it seems to be more painful and longer lasting.
Minx has recommended this for relief from gout, but they don't do it at Holland and Barrett, but I've found a few suppliers on the net so I'm going to give it a try. It's also a tonic, and I think I need one of those too these days.....I agree, we shouldn't really moan should we, it's only about thirty years ago that the treatment we've had wasn't available....

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2021, 10:42 PM

Found this for you, Foxy, tell you a bit more about it - including the ingredients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_bitters
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

16-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Found this for you, Foxy, tell you a bit more about it - including the ingredients.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_bitters
Thanks Tabby, great stuff....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 05:20 AM

How are you doing, OGF?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 08:03 AM

That's interesting about the blood thinners. A young guy I used to work with developed gout and also had polycythaemia (increased blood count). Which frequently goes together with some types of gout and is treated with blood thinners as the blood can get too thick and cause various problems. I think he was also teetotal, in his twenties, slim and not leading an unhealthy lifestyle. It just happened and suddenly he had to take medication long term because he was in so much pain quite often. Baffling condition.

Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top