Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 11:36 AM

Re: Your Occupation

Where I grew up there was generally full employment, everyone seemed to have a Job.........Getting out of bed!.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I´m replying to this because I would hate for anyone to think we just abandoned our dogs. At the time we used to travel we had two Pomeranians and they always went to this place:

http://www.dunstonlodge.com/accommod...esterfield.php

I do agree however that when leaving a dog in kennels you should always check the kennels out. The one mentioned above we trusted completely, we were shown round everywhere, including the kitchens, the special enclosures away from others for the older or poorly dogs, an amazing place. Sometimes it is necessary to kennel a pet but a good trusted place is a must.

That's how it should be Clumsy, sounds like your place is one of the good ones - I did say they are not all bad.
You'd be amazed at how many people never ask to see where their dog will be kept though.
That bad place I worked at even kennelled dogs together that had never met before so he could cram more in and make more money. He boarded around 200 (or more).
I saw some heart breaking stuff going on there, but I was young and afraid to tell him what I thought (he was an ex-copper as well) but as I said before, when he started chasing me round the place as well, I gave my notice in and left.
It was a bad experience, but a valuable eye opener as well.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I´m replying to this because I would hate for anyone to think we just abandoned our dogs. At the time we used to travel we had two Pomeranians and they always went to this place:

http://www.dunstonlodge.com/accommod...esterfield.php

They were always very happy there, very well looked after and cared for, so well cared for in fact that when we went to fetch them back they came to greet us then ran off with their kennel maid. We would never have left them anywhere we didn´t have complete trust in. We took those little dogs from England to Kenya and from Kenya to Spain, they both lived long and happy lives and adapted easily to new countries. The smallest and youngest one was in fact a much happier and different dog in the warmer climates. In England she would spend much of the day lying under a radiator, she hated cold weather
I do agree however that when leaving a dog in kennels you should always check the kennels out. The one mentioned above we trusted completely, we were shown round everywhere, including the kitchens, the special enclosures away from others for the older or poorly dogs, an amazing place. Sometimes it is necessary to kennel a pet but a good trusted place is a must.
Please don't misunderstand, there was no judging as far as what people do because you can't help having to have your pets looked after at some point. It doesn't matter if its your dearest friend, sister, or reputable kennel. The point I was just trying to make was realistically you cannot tell a dog or cat why they're being left. It would be nice if you could. Its great your dogs had such wonderful care!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 10:58 AM

I have worked over the years for lots of different types of companies, always in the office, either in HR dealing with peoples problems, or working indirectly for the MOD sending up to 300 contractors a week out to different places abroad or in the uk, to work on vehicles, I loved this job.

Now I am working for an internet company designing brochures to advertise on the internet on a part time basis.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
The point I was just trying to make was realistically you cannot tell a dog or cat why they're being left.
I agree, we had to put our lovely Labrador in kennels a few times, she also had to go into quarantine for six months (This was way before the current rules on importing dogs to UK**)

For a dog, they can't know when you leave the room if you'll be gone for 5 minutes, 5 weeks, 5 years, etc. that's one reason they can get what I believe we call 'seperation anxiety' but a good kennels who look after them and feed them and exercise them will take their mind of the situation and when you come back they might even have got to like it

Their some good kennels and a lot of bad ones.

** We were allowed to visit her as often as we wanted.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Aww that must've been very hard, especially the 6 month quarantine! What disease were they waiting to see in 6 months?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Aww that must've been very hard, especially the 6 month quarantine! What disease were they waiting to see in 6 months?
It was rabies, AC.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2014, 09:38 PM

RABIES

This was before an effective injection was developed for the disease, now all you need is a pet passport with a certified vets stamp and signature that the appropriate injection has been done and you can bring your dog into the UK with you.

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top