Join for free
Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Re: How long is a good life?

Originally Posted by gateau ->
Aerolor, then best we leave it there, remember someone once said.."I am that i am" i wonder what he meant with that short statement.?
"I am that I am" is Hebrew gateau (Ehyeh asher ehyeh) and is a famous translated verse from the Torah and literally translated is "I shall be that I shall be". It is supposedly the reply that Moses received from God when he asked for his name and what he was. It is to be found in the Bible (Exodus 3:14).
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2011, 11:49 AM

Planty, how can one ever compete with an explanation of existence like that be sure to file a patent on it.
Thanks for that Aerolor, this subject is complex and cannot be simplified with
religion, yet billions of ordinary people follow it blindly, why beats me, because its all fear based.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Planty, how can one ever compete with an explanation of existence like that be sure to file a patent on it.
Thanks gateau, I`ll try to get it copyrighted first thing Monday! lol
gateau
central queensland
gateau is male  gateau has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2011, 09:47 PM

Hows everything in the midlands i used to live in Derbyshire prior to moving to Edinburgh then out here to Australia in 1969, we came via Bahrain then Perth and i could not believe my eyes, it took 4 hours flying from Perth in the west to Sydney in the East, and here's me as a kid thinking the trip to Cleethorps was a long way.
gateau
central queensland

08-01-2011, 10:00 PM

Aerolor, the only problem i have with these biblical stories is they are written by men, many men, each with his interpretation of the original message.
Now people have a tendency to exaggerate and over time that message can be totally different from what was originally stated, if in fact it ever was spoken and not someones view.
The only story that seems to have stood the test of time is JC's story, why because it offers salvation to mankind.

Strange how he spoke of eternal life yet many people today don't believe it, believing only what their eyes tell them, yet, even that could be an illusion, dratwe may have been conned
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Thanks for that Aerolor, this subject is complex and cannot be simplified with
religion, yet billions of ordinary people follow it blindly, why beats me, because its all fear based.
I'm sure there are a lot of people that do not follow things blindly, and as for religeon being based on fear, that is such a sweeping statement and a view that a lot of non religeous people assume about religeous people lol
I for one do not have any belief that is based on fear or fear of death, I don't have a conventional faith, I don't agree with the great wealth and privilege held by a chosen few people (like Bishops and the Vatican) The church I attend is run by it's congregation the church is repaired by the congregation and the minister paid from the collection plate, the towns needy also get help via the church. I also don't believe in the bible word for word, I agree that it is open to interpretation and scrutiny, you have to remember it was written when people were a lot simpler, things seemed black and white, and as you say seeing is sometimes believing and maybe even more so in biblical times. 50 years ago people wouldn't have believed in a virgin birth, yet we know now that it can happen, through IVF, that the red sea at certain times of the year drops to a level that is passable, probably chinese whispers and a lot lost in translation possibly as well.
The only thing that maybe is hard to accept is a person dying and rising from the dead. That is where faith comes into it, it's up to us whether we believe that or not, whether we believe in an after life, and whether it matters to us.
We could debate for years, and still probably not be 100% sure where life came from, but I have to say hand on heart, the thought of an afterlife although is sort of appealing is not paramount to my faith, if it could be proved there is no afterlife I would still believe the Universe and me in it was created by a super power. I can't prove it, I just know it, same as no one knows which came first the chicken or the egg, yet they both exist. If I'm wrong it doesn't matter does it? I wont know anything about it will I? lying in peace sounds lovely too!
June x
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 12:41 AM

Faith and belief are funny things. Once you start to think about it all with an open mind, it is as if a veil is lifted from your mind, and the whole thing seems a bit silly.

The bible is not a book but a collection of books, many of which contradict each other, written by men with varying motives. If we as a society followed it, life would be hell. Men could have many wives, adulterers could be stoned....the list goes on.

Sometimes I'm sad that I've lost the magic of faith, and found it replaced with rational thought and reasoning, but it can't be helped.
gateau
central queensland

09-01-2011, 12:47 AM

Well June you certainly gave me an ear full there, i like what you say about your church being run by the congregation which takes in the minister and the needy in the neighbourhood that's the way it should be.
Philosophy is a complex subject as is life a mystery, but, we are here are we not, for a short time that is, then we will be of again i imagine to where we came from, so scratching my head, i must have existed then, i exist now, so logic says i will exist when i return, blimey nearly lost myself there for a while with all that existence. Right then?
Now, we all like to know whats happening in the village, who's doing what, gossip, well did you know, that Elsie jones was caught with that boy, gossip.and the community thrives on it, my interest at the moment is where is this dude going in the not to distant future, thats curiosity not gossip, if i am a one of manifestation and there is nothing when the toes start to turn up, well it wont matter will it because i will cease to exist, the thing is, i doubt there is a single human being that would be comfortable with that.
gateau
central queensland

09-01-2011, 12:59 AM

Then Joan some would say you are now thinking outside the box, but be wary of the mind some have called it a den of vipers, not yours, a general view only. (phew)
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2011, 08:11 AM

Gateau, you sound like an old washer women who wants to always have the last word.

Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it.

I think this long life has run it's day.

R.I.P Long life.

Page 8 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top