Join for free
Page 8 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 07:48 AM

Re: The job search begins here

Always told our kids the work ethic shouldn't be something society expects of you, it should be something you expect of yourself, they are both grafters.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 07:51 AM

Floydy, you have to buck the trend, when everyone is going cashless, think money.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Always told our kids the work ethic shouldn't be something society expects of you, it should be something you expect of yourself, they are both grafters.
Quite agree. It's usually by example from our parents that we learn the work ethic. Often the problem can be that a parent can also be one who just doesn't wish to work, youngsters see that so end up the same! Such a shame as there is, I reckon, a lot to be gained from working, other than just a wage. That was when I worked though, perhaps things have changed these days.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:38 AM

With a few applications now in the pipeline, I should really request a short meeting with my current employer to ask about opportunities within my company on days.
Whilst I do want to get off nights, if there are any suitable posts for me not working any kind of shifts it may be worth staying there as it would be much easier and the wage and holidays would still be in place, albeit with the night pay removed (which wouldn't matter too much soon anyway).

I'll request a meeting sometime this week with HR or the Ops Manager.
If they say what I think they will say, that I need to apply like everybody else when a vacancy is advertised internally, then I'll continue looking elsewhere and simply stay on nights until something comes along.
Long service and an unblemished working record counts for nothing at my place.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
You are well qualified to be a personal bodyguard.
No one in politics obviously but some one in music.Think of all the back stage shenanigans you would be invited to
Think of all the late nights you will have to work .
Apart from that it’s one of the most boring jobs lots of hanging about .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
With a few applications now in the pipeline, I should really request a short meeting with my current employer to ask about opportunities within my company on days.
Whilst I do want to get off nights, if there are any suitable posts for me not working any kind of shifts it may be worth staying there as it would be much easier and the wage and holidays would still be in place, albeit with the night pay removed (which wouldn't matter too much soon anyway).

I'll request a meeting sometime this week with HR or the Ops Manager.
If they say what I think they will say, that I need to apply like everybody else when a vacancy is advertised internally, then I'll continue looking elsewhere and simply stay on nights until something comes along.
Long service and an unblemished working record counts for nothing at my place.

Good luck Floydy
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Good luck Floydy
Thanks Muddy
I'm in a good position anyway. I'm in work so there's no pressure to find another job. I just need to get off nights and have a change. Plus, my debts will be paid off in October too so the lack of night pay won't be a problem.
Five years in a different job then I'll be 60 and I'll go part-time so it's all looking very interesting
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Floyds have you thought of buying an oven cleaning franchise?

A chap came to clean my oven a couple of weeks ago & he told me he's been doing it for 2 years and was very happy in the work. He used to be pen pusher for the council.

Just a thought..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

11-08-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Floyds have you thought of buying an oven cleaning franchise?

A chap came to clean my oven a couple of weeks ago & he told me he's been doing it for 2 years and was very happy in the work. He used to be pen pusher for the council.

Just a thought..
No I haven't Carol. I've never cleaned an oven and would hate it.
Better than working for the council I expect though.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Mrs p works for the council, she has better working conditions than me, and she’s part time....

Page 8 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top