Join for free
Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 11:34 PM

Re: Were you cold as a child ?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Ouch! I had those in 1981 after walking to a friend's house after school in the snow...

I remember being told off for sitting on the storage heaters because it might cause piles/ haemorrhoids!
Not piles, you got those from sitting on stone walls.
An open fire had the same effect, you got chilblains if sat too close to it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Yes. We had coalfires in the kitchen and front room and you only felt warm if you were sitting right beside it. If you sat over the other side of the room it was freezing. mum and Dad always kept the fire going but the heat just went up the chimney.

If you needed the toilet you had to leave the front room, go through the kitchen, across “the passage” through what we called “the wash house” and into the little toilet. It was bitterly cold out there with no heat and a single glazed north facing window.

My bedroom had pink lino so that was cold too and it also faced north. One time my Mum bought me a small rug and I thought that was real luxury!

My parents didn’t get central heating until many years after I left home.
brings it all back you didn’t linger in the ‘back’ loo that for sure .we did have another indoor bathroom. Mum put a paraffin heater in but then took it out . We were going in there with books it was the only place that was warm and cosy
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Not piles, you got those from sitting on stone walls.
An open fire had the same effect, you got chilblains if sat too close to it.
Tiffany, We were told you would get carbuncles, ?whatever they are, if we sat on cold surfaces...pavements, walls etc.

I remember it was one of the ‘big boys’ who said it, so you believed them!!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Tiffany, We were told you would get carbuncles, ?whatever they are, if we sat on cold surfaces...pavements, walls etc.

I remember it was one of the ‘big boys’ who said it, so you believed them!!
They are boils Artie & caused by a bacterial infection.

Think piles are more likely. I got those having kids though.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2021, 08:42 PM

Just been reading through this whole thread, bringing back so many memories! Paraffin stoves, coal fires (just the one in the main room), ice on the inside of windows, the snow of 1963 (we forgot what green fields looked like after four months of white!), warming clothes on the big old fireguard, stone hot water bottles (oh how I loved them!), toasting forks (absolutely the best toast ever!) and liberty bodices (remember the awful smell of burning rubber if mum wasn't careful when she was ironing them? ).
And yes, as someone upthread said, why were they called liberty bodices? They didn't make me feel free at all, just adding to all the layers of restrictive clothing. Maybe it was because, as they kept you warm, you had the 'freedom' to go out in the cold? Who knows?
I remember the big old iron radiators at school, hogging them in break-time if we were allowed to stay in. And the steamed up windows on the school bus from all the damp clothing on our hot little bodies!!

Page 8 of 8 « First < 6 7 8

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top