Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Re: Gnashing of teeth

When you consider that in comparison to USA and China, this is a very small country, I reckon we're doing very well. Makes me proud to be British.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

05-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Mazzie,
Its a very small country to most of the world, and yes it does, make you proud, it's always better to cheer than it is to jeer

TEAM GB ---TEAM GB -- TEAMGB --- GO --GO GO.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 01:36 PM

I'm glad someone else is backing Team GB...........they're a bit thin on the ground in some of these forums.
Jonsey
South western France
Jonsey is male 

05-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Well Mazzie I am English, but quite happy to support our colonies of Wales and Scotland, especially if Murray ( spit spit ) wins.

I think it was Lineaker that said on a medal to population race, TEAMGB is punching well above its weight
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 01:51 PM

And you know that Murray will win Jonsey......................GO ANDY!

The Scot in me rises to the surface occasionally.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mazzie ->
I'm glad someone else is backing Team GB...........they're a bit thin on the ground in some of these forums.
For my part Mazzie it's not the lack of patriotism, just a total lack of interest in sport, and a total lack of understanding as to however much it must be great to prove you're the best in the world at something on a personal level, how it then improves Great Britain, and why indeed should Great Britain be claiming any glory for that individual's success....
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 02:17 PM

You have to consider the entertainment value as well plantman.............obviously only for people who enjoy sport. But if you don't like sport, then its clearly not something you're going to be interested in. I've never been a big fan of sport but I just have so much admiration for the sportsmen and women who put their all into their particular game and and I'm delighted for them when they get to the top. And the fact that they're representing their country is the reason the British Public are supporting them. Its not about claiming glory...............what you say is right, it's the individuals who are claiming the glory but the great British Public is supporting them throughout and basking in it. There's nowt wrong with that in my opinion.

Its been clear listening to the various successful olympians when being interviewed that the support of the public is what spurs them on and it makes a huge difference to their frame of mind while they're competing. Because they're on home soil, they know the majority of the people watching are with them all the way and that gives them a tremendous lift.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 02:24 PM

I think we have to remember is, the Olympics are a world event, and as organisers it is our duty to let the rest of the world see their athletes in action billions across the world have watched it.
I will admit to watching it non stop since it started, I am at this moment watching woman knock ten barrels out of each other in the boxing.
I think the organisers have done a great job, from the beginning and they should be congratulated, despite the G4S security foul up.
Well done to team GB for rising to the challenge and making the UK proud again.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 02:26 PM

Well put wrinkly.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top