Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 12:20 PM

Re: Childhood memories

Many years ago I used to go to football matches, home and away and it was enjoyable listening to the friendly banter between supporters of opposite teams. Nowadays it's all about bad language and thugs who have no respect for genuine supporters.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

22-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
That's a great story Hammer, your Dad must have been well known with the Charlton supporters to get such respect for his Son, pity you never found out why he followed them, or maybe it's just as well to keep you guessing till you meet again. And he still couldn't get you to drop the Hammer eh.
The passing down was the done thing in those days, unless you went to Stamford Bridge as there it was a quick exit.
The old chap would never explain his allegiance to The Addicks. We always thought it was because ma came from Greenwich and he must have carried out a few cross water / border incursions whilst he was spooning and maybe it was a special place to the pair of them.

It might have been the roast chestnuts on a cold match day as they were to die for.

As for the Hammers, well it had to be, from where we lived you could almost taste the atmosphere and a quick sprint up the road just after three, duck under the turnstiles at the friendly stewards doorway and in.

Heaven on earth. Life was so simple then.
bumpthump
New Member!
Glasgow
bumpthump is male 

25-08-2011, 08:41 PM

Being trussed up in a plastic rain coat and being allowed to go to town on the bus on my own for the first time to buy an Airfix model of the Bismark with my Christmas money. It was 15/-.
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by poppycock ->
my brother put a dried pea up his nostril and said nothing his nose swelled up then a shoot appeared. The pea had started to shoot due to the dark damp conditions of his nose he was taken to hospital and had it removed. We certainly got our moneys worth out of the NHS at our house.

Hahaha I absolutely roared with laughter when I read this. Wonderful story!

My kid sister was always shoving things up her nose and in her ears too and we were backwards and forwards to the casualty - Beads, bits of lego and all sorts but never a pea that sprouted

This thread is an absolute joy. So many of the stories chime with me and remind me of my own childhood experiences - it's clear we are all from the same generation.
Jenilou
South of England
Jenilou is female  Jenilou has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
One thing about our childhoods, they taught us how to cope and be adaptable!
The only heating we had in our house were coal fires, two downstairs and nothing at all upstairs. We used to go to bed wearing more clothes than we wore in the day lol.

My mum was a ward sister at the local hospital and worked mainly nights. My dad would start work about 6am and my three older brothers were all working and would be gone early - just up and out the door, no hanging about. Me and my sister while still at primary school would get up to a freezing house and first thing we would do is scrape out the grate and set the fire, screwed up paper and wood underneath, coal on top - the sheet of newspaper across the front to make it draw - we were experts at it, and the fire would be roaring up the chimney in no time, heating the water and warming the house. We'd make ourselves porridge on the stove, have breakfast, wash it all up, make our beds, check the fire (and make sure the guard was on obviously) and then off for a mile and half walk to school in all weathers. When my mum got in from work, it was to a warm, tidy house and a hot bath.

How many 7 and 9 year olds could manage that today do you think?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Thats how it used to be, not now, mother would have to be around to take them to school in the car.

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top