Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 11:13 AM

Re: is it just me

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I chose not to have children, and unsurprisingly I agree with the majority on here. However, I can't resist a wry smile when people insist that their own children were made to behave, keep quiet when eating out, would be disciplined if they were a nuisance etc. I suspect today's parents will have the same "memories" in 20 years time when they're complaining about the next generation's children. I can't help thinking some people have selective memories where their own are concerned.
eccles, l think you are right there! Some people do have selective memories! I have always said, how good my five children were and that l could take them anywhere ...but if l really thought about it... I would recollect that my son could be a right little brat, run away from me in pubs, town centres, roll on the floor having a tantrum!
Yep, twenty year olds can be very difficult!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Ive read a lot of social history and not read that one before .
I think it was Laudanum they put in their bottles to quiet them while they went out to work .
Not that long ago.

In the 1970s you used to be able to buy Collis Browne's Mixture for children in any chemist in the UK. It's ingredient Tincture of Opium (as well as cannabis and morphine I understand). When I brought some to Australia with my kids it was confiscated at Customs and Immigration.

My Grandmother's cure for any childhood ailment was a spoonful of brandy in milk.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not that long ago.

In the 1970s you used to be able to buy Collis Browne's Mixture for children in any chemist in the UK. It's ingredient Tincture of Opium (as well as cannabis and morphine I understand). When I brought some to Australia with my kids it was confiscated at Customs and Immigration.

My Grandmother's cure for any childhood ailment was a spoonful of brandy in milk.

my first child was born in the 70s and would not sleep , my GP prescribed a mixture which side effect was drowsiness. Im sure it began with a P and it was well known among other new Mothers ..

A very old Aunt told us to put Whisky in childs Bottle for toothache .I should think that would knock it out too
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
my first child was born in the 70s and would not sleep , my GP prescribed a mixture which side effect was drowsiness. Im sure it began with a P and it was well known among other new Mothers ..
Phenergan
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2016, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Phenergan
Thats it Ruth

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top