Join for free
Page 9 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 08:29 AM

Re: Our way of life ending

This makes sad reading, Cinders.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 08:38 AM

The carnage is beyond comprehension.

https://abcbirds.org/blog21/wind-turbine-mortality/

The numbers recorded as roadkill off the scale globally.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

31-05-2021, 08:52 AM

perhaps this also illustrates that there is a % of us that don't know a % that don't care and a % who know and care - hmm were do I fit I wonder?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
seen any wolves around recently? - animals 1. respond or not to their current environments - if those deteriorate they either die or move on 2. OR humans decide to exterminate them with pesticides ; guns ; fox hunting packs of dogs - anyone looked at the stats of disappearing creatures from our planet recently?

and we talk about losing our own life styles and wise old sages like David Attenborough - spent his entire life studying our planet and morons here have the audacity to doubt him? - get cuddled!
There are wolves in other countries and plenty of ecosphere conservation projects to ensure their continued existence. I thought we hunted them to extinction here? UK foxes are thriving. But I do blame that for a lack of hedgehogs. Anyone who still has hedgehogs in their gardens is very lucky.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The carnage is beyond comprehension.

https://abcbirds.org/blog21/wind-turbine-mortality/

The numbers recorded as roadkill off the scale globally.
I didn't realise how much wind turbines affected birds, until I started watching some Osprey cams last year. Then I got reading about the migration patterns and discovered that some young ones on their first migration never make it out of the UK due to being hit by turbines. Couldn't they paint them black or red to alert the birds to danger?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 09:16 AM

It's interesting to note that 50-80% of our oxygen is from phytoplankton living in the oceans.

https://ocean.si.edu/ocean-life/plan...ke-thank-ocean
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Monocrops. Lack of insects, butterflies, lack of mammalian things such as rabbits, foxes, mice etc. Huge reduction in birds by numbers and varieties. Away from our little village the country has been made sterile.

And that's just for starters.
Where do you live Todger, Chernobyl?
You have done exactly what I didn't want you to do.....
You have quoted something out of the David Attenborough handbook of the 'Broken planet' word for word.....So unless you are comparing your count of insects with the count you have been doing for the last ten years, your info is coming down the wire.....

I spend the best part of my life observing nature while running and walking out in the country. Now I'm retired I have little else to do. I've noticed that the population of Rabbits have almost doubled since I was a boy. You were lucky to see a Rabbit or Hare, probably because they were hunted to extinction because people ate them round here. Now people can get a substantial meal for a couple of quid down at MacDonald's and the result is; I now see them almost every day...

There has been quite an upsurge in Foxes also, and they are even wandering into suburban areas looking for the waste food everyone now throws out before it's sell by date. Maddie the cat has in the past delivered many mice, moles and even rats to our doorstep, but in the Autumn of her life does not appear to have the speed or inclination she used to have, but the mice remain!

I must admit to not seeing many butterflies in my garden this year, but have noticed plenty in the pastures of buttercups and dandelions. There seemed to be plenty last year though. Sparrows seemed to be rare compared to my younger days, but for the last five years they seemed to have increased to their previous numbers, along with Tits, wrens, finches and blackbirds, and there is never a time when you can't hear the intricate whistling of the Robin or song thrush.

We seem to have attracted large schools of Starlings, they come and work the lawns on a regular basis, and Jackdaws that were rarely seen are now regular visitors. Ladybirds are also popular and regular visitors, especially this year, and the droppings from a hedgehog on the lawn would suggest that at least one is a nocturnal visitor.

I could go on Todger, but you obviously don't get out much and rely on the media and Mr Attenborough for your perception of the world. It would be easy to find all the shitholes of the world and put them together in an hour long documentary to bring despondency and despair to the viewer, but the world is a big place, far bigger than most people comprehend and fortunately these shitholes are few and far between but David knows where they all are doesn't he.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2021, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
seen any wolves around recently? - animals 1. respond or not to their current environments - if those deteriorate they either die or move on 2. OR humans decide to exterminate them with pesticides ; guns ; fox hunting packs of dogs - anyone looked at the stats of disappearing creatures from our planet recently?

and we talk about losing our own life styles and wise old sages like David Attenborough - spent his entire life studying our planet and morons here have the audacity to doubt him? - get cuddled!
With all due respect bret, you are in Australia and know bugger all about the countryside in this green and pleasant land except what you read and comes down the wire, therefore you have been corrupted by the media....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

31-05-2021, 10:15 AM

OGF I think the problem is the balance of nature has changed and that balance is very important.

Page 9 of 14 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top