Join for free
Page 9 of 36 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 07:45 PM

Re: Energy: SMART Meters

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
So it is true Meg.
Great minds think alike!

The thing is that if one has over a £1,000 in their account during the whole year then this is worth £50 a year interest.
That is done automatically so this is good.
By the way Meg.
Did you receive the very recent offer for a two year price fix?
I did.

And I have done just that!
....yes I did Boozer but I signed up for just 1 year

Who knows where I will be in 2 years time and the cost per unit and standing charge were higher for 2 years.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2017, 08:34 PM

I have never even considered getting one and will resist having one installed for as long as I can.
I have concerns about them. The possibility that they can disconnect our supply remotely and the indisputable fact that they can snoop on us for whatever reason our supplier might wish.

Moreover, I cannot understand how people claim that they save them money. They don't reduce power usage. All they can do is illustrate how much power one uses.
I don't need an electronic display to remind me to turn off appliances, etc., that I don't need to be on. I can work that out for myself.

I am like the Queen. I routinely go around the house turning off lights that have been left on... not saying by whom of course, although there are only two of us here (since our poor cat died ).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 01:42 AM

Absolutely not. Creepy, intrusive and really annoying that we all have to pay for them even if we don't want one.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 04:51 AM

Hi

I have a water meter, I had no choice.

It has saved me diddly squat, I would be much better off without one.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 05:03 AM

I tried it but I obviously don't have a very smart meter. I went outside and said "NO!" to it and it did absolutely nothing.

Didn't even blink...

I tried speaking very sternly to it but that didn't work either. Saying "No" to a smart meter is a non starter.

Perhaps treating it kindly works better after all the poor thing is outside rain or shine with no one for company, maybe it just needs a bit of TLC.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	4241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2025.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	4242  
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 08:33 AM

I won't have a Smart in the house for all the reasons that other posters have already mentioned. I know exactly how much Gas/Electricity I use per day, do not need a robot to tell me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have a water meter, I had no choice.

It has saved me diddly squat, I would be much better off without one.
I thought they were not compulsory. I'd certainly resist having one.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-10-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I tried it but I obviously don't have a very smart meter. I went outside and said "NO!" to it and it did absolutely nothing.

Didn't even blink...

I tried speaking very sternly to it but that didn't work either. Saying "No" to a smart meter is a non starter.

Perhaps treating it kindly works better after all the poor thing is outside rain or shine with no one for company, maybe it just needs a bit of TLC.
It didn't work because you have to be more specific. They are 'smart' of course.

You must state quite clearly, "Stop turning".
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 11:36 AM

PLEASE NOTE THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD THAT HAS DISCUSSED SMART METERS

Here:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=39817

It has all the details and research links you are likely to need.

The quick summary is that you ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT allow your energy company to install a Smart Meter.

Smart Meters exist for one reason and one reason only . .

TO INCREASE PROFITS OF ENERGY SUPPLIERS

Smart Meters exist to herald in the new way of charging for gas and electricty. That new way is charging for energy usage at every minute of every day and applying different rates of charges at different times of the day. You can guess which parts of the day will be charged at the higher rates.

If you accept a Smart Meter, YOU WILL ultimately see your energy bills either double or treble. You have been warned!

You will also be at the mercy of the company who will have the power and ability to shut off your supply remotely should they so desire.

If the inevitable rise in your bills doesn't turn you away then the prospect of having the equivalent of a mobile phone mast strapped to the side of your house, irradiating you and your children 24x7, should be reason enough to refuse one.

Smart Meters are a complete con. Just there to make mega profits by allowing the providers to charge you different rates at different times of the day. The meters will monitor your usage constantly (don't ever believe what the providers say about that). They will work out when you use energy the most (i.e. when you are home from work) and that's when they will charge you the highest rate.

They will present it as a kind of ECO necessity to force people to spread their energy usage across the day but that's just kidology. There is no evidence to suggest smart meters help in any way to such efficiencies. There is plenty of evidence to suggest smart meters double or treble your bills though.

I have already put laminated signs inside my gas and electricty meter boxes expressely forbidding anyone to install a smart meter (should they try and do so whilst I am away somewhere).

Write to your provider early, take the initiative and tell them in no uncertain terms that you will not, under any circumstances, accept a smart meter.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2017, 10:15 PM

Yes but in that case won't they charge those without a meter the highest rate all day? I bet they do something underhand like that to get back at us.

Page 9 of 36 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top