Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 05:59 AM

Re: Self-defence for the older person

Just a minute whilst I get out my tube of Deep Heat so I can put some on my thumb and stick it in your eye....on second thoughts here take my handbag whilst I run in the opposite direction

Not brave but I'm not after a medal
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 06:48 AM

I once saw a man slapping his girlfriend around and when I remonstrated with him, telling him to pick on somebody his own size, he decided to pick on me.

The outcome was he stalked up to me and threw a punch at me, which I ducked.

I half turned, grabbed hold of his fisted hand, spun into an inverted turn so his arm was twisted across the front of his body and sent him into a forward whip, where he did a complete somersault and planted his face into the ground.

I then waited for the Police to arrive. There were no repercussions as the policeman decided it was self defence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fogey ->
I once saw a man slapping his girlfriend around and when I remonstrated with him, telling him to pick on somebody his own size, he decided to pick on me.

The outcome was he stalked up to me and threw a punch at me, which I ducked.

I half turned, grabbed hold of his fisted hand, spun into an inverted turn so his arm was twisted across the front of his body and sent him into a forward whip, where he did a complete somersault and planted his face into the ground.

I then waited for the Police to arrive. There were no repercussions as the policeman decided it was self defence.
And they let him off with a warning?

Good for you, though.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Self defence classes are OK in their way, but too many of the moves are stylized, as if every attacker makes the same move, and the slo-mo responses are just rendered laughable in a real situation.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:14 AM

I never had to physically defend myself. In all my life I've only been threatened twice, and both times I managed to calm down the person threatening me. Don't ask me how I did that. I don't even know.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
And they let him off with a warning?

Good for you, though.
Apart from a visit to the hospital, I don't know what happened to the man. From the amount of clucking the women who were attending to him, I think he was quite seriously injured.

He was certainly unconscious for a time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy ->
I never had to physically defend myself. In all my life I've only been threatened twice, and both times I managed to calm down the person threatening me. Don't ask me how I did that. I don't even know.

Well done Plops. Charm the birds out the trees you could.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Working as a pool lifeguard has put me in some spots. The fact that I was so lean and mean looking seemed to put many off starting any trouble, but the fact I'm undoubtedly unbalanced must have played its part too .

I used to thrive on adrenalin at one time. I remember being on duty in the high chair on the pool side of a rough Welsh valley complex - torn down now. A transit van pulled up and 5 guys got out and decided to go for a swim. The rest of the pool staff knew them and buggered off - including the manager. Some of them had had a drink too. They started their antics and people had either left before hand or did then.

No doubt about it I was a raving nutter at this time being extremely fit - top runner, pretty good swimmer and also into karate. I told them off once, but was ignored. They pushed me again so I decided to confront them. My mindset was in a way as it is now in that I analyse constantly. I had also been suicidal at times in my youth and knew that being faced with death can clear the mind. So, with this approach I told them to get out - all of them.

Being face to face with 5 big guys - some of them a lot bigger than I was (me being under 10st) seems rediculous. Thing is though I didn't care if I lived or died. They must have picked up on it as they turned and left without a murmur - shit themselves in fact. I had to apologise when they left to get in their van as I felt sorry for them.

This mentality I still have. Even though I seem to love discussing all sorts of stuff in depth I know it means nothing really. When it comes down to the wire and you are staring death in the eye there is a strange lifting of spirits where your worries leave you - being quite euphoric in nature. Nothing matters but that exact moment in time. Of course some are too badly damaged and top themselves, I though used to use it as a means to an end. I still have this knowledge of course and would use it again if needs be.

So the best defence is to be bonkers .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Just a minute whilst I get out my tube of Deep Heat...
Spray can, dear lady. This is the 21st Century.

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top