Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:22 PM

Re: 'iconic,' blue post-Brexit passports made in Poland by French-Dutch co

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It's not an argument to leave either.

In those few instances she is beaten to that by brexiters desperate to show the benefits of leaving.
What are the benefits of staying, Solasch.

Can you think of any ? What does the Netherlands get out of being an EU member state ?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The machinations of global businesses won't be greatly affected by Brexit but we will have the levers to affect the business landscape on these islands.
You actually mean to say that your financial services will be limited to these islands, in case the UK in negotiations keeps wanting to divert from allignment.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
What are the benefits of staying, Solasch.
Bread, wake up! You are out of the EU! You keep forgetting.
(indicative of a trauma caused by brexit?)
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Bread, wake up! You are out of the EU! You keep forgetting.
(indicative of a trauma caused by brexit?)
You can't think of any can you that's why you won't answer
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Well, it seems to me that while we were still part of the EU, we had to obey the rules to put the contract out for tender including those in the EU. As I said, Rue came first with everything except the price. Obviously, the EU with their skullduggery in giving state aid to businesses when that is prohibited must have helped with the tendering price, which Rue would never have been able to compete against.

One could only guess what the French would have said if our Gov't had awarded the contract to Rue when their tender price was £120m more than that of the EU company. Our Gov't must have been spitting feathers at having to turn Rue down, but GB, alway fair and playing by the rules (unlike the EU) did the only thing they could in the circumstances and awarded it to the cheapest tender.

This should certainly not be the case here on in. After the 5 year contract is up, the EU company can kiss the contract goodbye because the job will be done here in future. Nothing the EU will be able to do about it because our hands will no longer be shackled.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

24-02-2020, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Well, it seems to me that while we were still part of the EU, we had to obey the rules to put the contract out for tender including those in the EU. As I said, Rue came first with everything except the price. Obviously, the EU with their skullduggery in giving state aid to businesses when that is prohibited must have helped with the tendering price, which Rue would never have been able to compete against.

One could only guess what the French would have said if our Gov't had awarded the contract to Rue when their tender price was £120m more than that of the EU company. Our Gov't must have been spitting feathers at having to turn Rue down, but GB, alway fair and playing by the rules (unlike the EU) did the only thing they could in the circumstances and awarded it to the cheapest tender.

This should certainly not be the case here on in. After the 5 year contract is up, the EU company can kiss the contract goodbye because the job will be done here in future. Nothing the EU will be able to do about it because our hands will no longer be shackled.

I'm not sure that people will be so keen to renew their passports knowing this, and as a result this new contract will not see much business at all. Once we are out the EU I can see another contract going to De La Rue.

It's only 10 months away.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:33 PM

Even though the French quote was the cheapest, there was NOTHING in EU rules and regs to stop the Government from awarding DeLaRue the contract because of the security implications involved with printing and publishing the passports. The award to the French company was purely to maximise profits from the sale of passports to us poor mugs imho.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
– Snip –

Btw, I worked in the print industry for 12 years and the company I worked for, a global company, was regularly buying up smaller companies, shutting them down and building new, subsidised, factories in Eastern/Southern Europe and transferring the work there.
My entire working life was in the printing industry, I have seen first-hand what was happening well before we were in the EU. Book printing took a real hit when a lot of this went to countries like China or Korea, it was cheaper, including shipping costs to deliver to the UK, this is nothing new. What is new is that EU rules meant that tenders for contracts had to be put out to all EU countries, which is what happened to the contract for producing passports – a cheaper deal being found elsewhere.

As Moscow writes, wages and conditions in the printing industry were gained after many years spent improving these to where they were good. Until that was the printing industry was decimated by concerted government efforts to get rid of the unions. This was assisted by big businesses that also wanted to cut wages so as to make more profits.

De La Rue, the company that lost the contract for producing the new passports has been in business for over 200 years, producing currency and security documents for countries worldwide but this makes no difference, the EU rules had to be followed with the company then being in danger of going under:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50557097

This link gives more information on the whole story:

https://www.theguardian.com/business...sport-contract

More about De La Rue can be found on the link below if of interest to anyone:

https://www.delarue.com

None of this sending work abroad as it's cheaper is really surprising when, totally by accident, I found a company in America advertising 'brokering' services for cheaper printing. They do this by sending it to companies in China and Asia where it's said to be 30% cheaper! No real comment about the quality being better as I have not seen the product to judge, but I doubt that.

https://www.artfuldragon.com/cheap-book-printing/

How long before many other products are sent abroad? Many of the products we use are already coming from abroad, our manufacturing base has been reducing for many years. If we don't support our own industries this will continue happening and it's all down to the usual reasons – greed and more profit. In saying this it's not just big businesses doing this, to a degree we all do it too. How many of us want whatever it is we are buying at a cheaper price? Look at what's happening with our high streets being decimated by online shopping as it's cheaper. All this has to stop somewhere. Where I do not know as it just seems to be continuing in this way, until … well, who knows …?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
I'm not sure that people will be so keen to renew their passports knowing this, and as a result this new contract will not see much business at all. Once we are out the EU I can see another contract going to De La Rue.

It's only 10 months away.
Would be nice if that was so Bread, unfortunately, loathe though people may feel about not supporting a British company, this all came about while we were still in the EU. If they wish to travel they have no choice other than to apply for a British passport made by a foreign country in a foreign land. (Sickening I know). The UK would always honour a contract unless reason not to such as criminal etc, so it looks as though they have it for 5 years.

The one consolation is that it will never again be Bergundy to represent the EU, and it will once again show the wording Great Britain on the front, not the EU stars. That has been consigned to the dustbin forever as far as we are concerned.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2020, 03:46 PM

Hi

No, No and No.

We had absolutely no need to tender the Contract.

We choose to do so.

Nothing to do with the EU at all.

Other Countries take a long term view and support their Industries.

We do not, our choice, our decision.

Live with it.

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top