Join for free
Page 98 of 1676 « First < 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 598 1098 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 09:13 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

It's ok having a high IQ, but watching one with one, can be an excuse for folks to Q, just to watch the I's water.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2016, 11:16 PM

Das is it to be?

Me Da passed on the love of reading – first by sitting me on his lap and reading books like Treasure Island – later in life he developed a love of classical music, painting by numbers [as you could in those days] – we had numbers all over the dining chairs! – poem writing and was an ‘armchair traveler’- his armchair could be found in many rooms. He died with his wife and three kids standing around his hospital bed, but I don’t think he wanted to go that way really!
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 04:57 AM

Y'know,I have several pens...proper,real pens...and each time I use one of them,I get ridicule. Comments such as "oh,ffs,we've got ballpoints now!"
Yes-all well and good...but in the days of my yoof,caligraphy was a prized art form...so much so that exams written soley in broad-nib Italic,or that were blot/smudge-free having used a 1954 Shaeffer [I still have it!] medium-nib fountain pen,would garner extra marks. Oh,well - must get typing...LOL!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Biro cuts out writing doubt.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 10:57 AM

While we're on the subject of numbers, whenever I meet blokes over 80 or so, I break the ice by saying something like "What's your number soldier? OLd soldiers never forget their national service number. and mostly their faces light up. If pressed to give mine I say 11-18-7. This is actually my granny Maud's CO-op dividend number, aah memories
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 11:27 AM

Wiv my lot,a request for I.D. was always bellowed as "Name & last five!" as opposed to just about everyone else's "last three". When I was awarded tapes,I too kept up that hallowed tradition. Eventually,time and events took a toll,which is why I have this prosthetic head-but luckily,it doesn't show.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
What would Eamonn de Valera make of such frivolity
Actually O’Kelly and the longfella (De Valera) were great mates RJ, Dev was forever preaching to O’Kelly about his drinking, O’Kelly had draught Guinness on tap installed in Aras an Uachtarain, that’s the Irish White House in the Phoenix Park. Dev was over six feet tall, can you imagine the pair of them together, Mutt and Jeff, but then none of you youngsters would remember Mutt and Jeff.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Actually O’Kelly and the longfella (De Valera) were great mates RJ, Dev was forever preaching to O’Kelly about his drinking, O’Kelly had draught Guinness on tap installed in Aras an Uachtarain, that’s the Irish White House in the Phoenix Park. Dev was over six feet tall, can you imagine the pair of them together, Mutt and Jeff, but then none of you youngsters would remember Mutt and Jeff.
Jem,that'll teach me not to try to comment on Irish glitterati.

I thought mutt'n'jeff was rhyming slang for deaf, or possibly a joint of mutton.

I had to google M & J,to discover that the "tall one" is the absolute double for my uncle Vivian.

I understand Michael Collins was a tall man too. At least his biopic starring a a tall actor was. (can't think of his name)
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2016, 08:48 PM

Some good news chums.
You've all seen my posts about my dear uncle Vivian.
It's his 100th birthday tomorrow.

The nursing home where he resides has suspended the ban on him leaving his room & none of the helpers are pursuing their claims for harassment.

William Hill have waved his debt because of his considerable contributions to their balance sheet.

I would appreciate posts congratulating him, he is partially sighted but I can read them out to him.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2016, 09:19 PM

Great news RJ, and as soon as you see him give the lovable old rogue my heartiest congratulations, he’ll be receiving his brown envelope from the Queen, they give you a thousand Euros over here now when you reach that magical age, so I believe.
They say the good die young, and it’s hard to kill a bad thing, does that mean every year folks get more bad?

Page 98 of 1676 « First < 48 88 96 97 98 99 100 108 148 198 598 1098 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top