Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 01:54 PM

LOTR Remade?

Worked my way through The Hobbit and now doing the same with the Lord of the Ding Dongs. Fantastic movies. I just wish they hadn't had the audacity to alter LOTR from the novel. Certain scenes never existed and make no sense to have been included. To have the temerity to think they know better than the wonderful author himself. I really wish they could redo them - just a few - and then I would be happy as Larry. Impossible now as the actors have aged but then again with the advances in computer generated imagery who knows - they might in time. Bleeding hope so anyway.

How effective is CGI now? Well, check this out and see if you can spot someone well past their sell by date ...

Made last year - 2016.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Re: LOTR Remade?

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Worked my way through The Hobbit and now doing the same with the Lord of the Ding Dongs. Fantastic movies. I just wish they hadn't had the audacity to alter LOTR from the novel. Certain scenes never existed and make no sense to have been included. To have the temerity to think they know better than the wonderful author himself.
There speaks a man after my own heart !
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 06:08 PM

I loved both the book and the film. The problem is the book is so in depth, it wouldn't work if filmed ad verbatim, it would be too long and ponderous and about 20 hours long. Film is a completely different media than the written word and one does not necessarily directly transfer from one to the other, thus scenes are added or removed to provide narrative momentum to the viewing audience. In addition, the cinematic release has to be a finite length (usually for contractual reasons), hence scenes intended for the theatrical cut sometimes are deleted (hence the "directors cut" of DVD's).
LotR is one of them novels which has been considered unfilmable because of its scope and length, although someone did try with an aborted animated version some years ago. Whatever the shortcomings of the film, it is probably the best adaptation you could get away with. I am a big fan of the extended version of the film, because there is a lot more backstory and detail which was missing from the cinema release. (Saruman's scene in Return of the King, for example).
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
I loved both the book and the film. The problem is the book is so in depth, it wouldn't work if filmed ad verbatim, it would be too long and ponderous and about 20 hours long. Film is a completely different media than the written word and one does not necessarily directly transfer from one to the other, thus scenes are added or removed to provide narrative momentum to the viewing audience. In addition, the cinematic release has to be a finite length (usually for contractual reasons), hence scenes intended for the theatrical cut sometimes are deleted (hence the "directors cut" of DVD's).
LotR is one of them novels which has been considered unfilmable because of its scope and length, although someone did try with an aborted animated version some years ago. Whatever the shortcomings of the film, it is probably the best adaptation you could get away with. I am a big fan of the extended version of the film, because there is a lot more backstory and detail which was missing from the cinema release. (Saruman's scene in Return of the King, for example).
There are only a few scenes that are different from the book really.

They added a scene where Wargs attacked which resulted in Aragorn falling over the cliff. Why? To show the inner turmoil of Aragorn as he wrestled with his feelings for the 2 women in his life? Barmy. Absolutely no need for it and it such feelings were covered adequately in the book.

The other scene that really gets my goat is when Faramir drags Frodo and Samwise to Osgiliath where Frodo ends up facing the lord of the Nasgul. Now this was preposterous. As if the Lord of the Nazgul couldn't tell that Frodo held the one ring whether he was wearing it or not. This particular scene should also be dispensed with entirely as it didn't work at all. As if Farimir would change his mind so close to home - just plain daft. I deem it a bloody insult to viewers and readers alike.

Just these 2 scenes and all that was associated with them should be cut and then the film would be far more welcome to all. Certainly to me anyway.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 07:00 PM

I first read the books as a child and Ive read them both many times since.
I havent seen the films..I know that its normally best to stick to either the film or the book normally if you know one well the other disappoints..

I do wonder how long it will be before they attempt the Silmarillion or maybe that isnt well known enough?
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I do wonder how long it will be before they attempt the Silmarillion or maybe that isnt well known enough?
I think they tried. I'm sure I read somewhere that NewLine Cinema wanted to make a film, but the Tolkien estate wouldn't allow it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 07:18 PM

I have read LOTR several times now, but not at all for the past few years. Perhaps to give it another go; I'm sure I can't remember everything, so a lot of it will be like new.

As for the films, I thought they were excellent apart from the minor alterations that have been discussed. Perhaps the additions that don't appear in the book could have been dropped and at least some of the missing parts re-instated. Tom Bombadil, for example, never features!

The Silmarillion, though? Good heavens no!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Worked my way through The Hobbit and now doing the same with the Lord of the Ding Dongs. Fantastic movies. I just wish they hadn't had the audacity to alter LOTR from the novel. Certain scenes never existed and make no sense to have been included. To have the temerity to think they know better than the wonderful author himself. I really wish they could redo them - just a few - and then I would be happy as Larry. Impossible now as the actors have aged but then again with the advances in computer generated imagery who knows - they might in time. Bleeding hope so anyway.

How effective is CGI now? Well, check this out and see if you can spot someone well past their sell by date ...

Made last year - 2016.

Rogue one isn't a bad film when all said and done and capturing the images of Peter Cushing and Carrie Fisher and pasting them onto actors is a triumph of CGI. So true to life you would think they were both still alive.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2017, 09:24 PM

Quite worn out with it all. LOTR extended versions. Quite amazing. A point I would have insisted upon though was Frodo and Samwise slimming right down to show their hardship. Seemed to me they hardly lost a lb. If I was the director they would have dropped a good 20-30lb at least and bugger their health.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2017, 09:47 PM

I can cope with them leaving things out of a film - no-one could possibly film any book word for word - it's when they add in characters or events that did not and never would have been there that really annoys me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top