Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

That’s the way to do it Shane, well done. I was never into golf but good luck to those who love it, I hear it’s a very addictive sport, Walking with balls my dad used to call golf.

The things we do for love, well the things we used to do for love when we were young and adventurous. We say things like “I would swim the seven seas for you darling” and “I would climb the highest mountain for you dearest”. That all sounds great in songs and in romantic films, wrapped in a passionate embrace one would promise the sun moon and stars if one thought it improved ones chances of getting a bit of how’s yer father, but when push comes to shove in real life it takes a sound man to stand his ground and actually do the deed.
One such man was my mate Mick O’Toole (lord rest his soul). When he was in his early twenties he was mad about this girl from Ballyfermot (Spitty knows where that is )
One night he was in such a state of passion that he said he would do anything she asked him to do just to prove how much he loved her, and she took him up on it.
The coming Saturday was Patricks Day and she asked him to join in at the tail end of the parade naked, not a stitch to cover him, naked as the day he was born. Mick did what she asked, stripped off in the street with his younger brother holding his kit, he was quickly arrested, bundled off in a black Maria and jailed for a week. These were the days before streakers and the burly coppers in Dublin took no messing about.
When he was released she was the first person he went to see, but instead of her flinging her arms around him and hailing him as her hero, she told him that it was all off, she didn’t want anything to do with a “Jailbird”, she promptly hitched up with another idiot and that was the end of Mick’s love of a lifetime.
True tale that.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2019, 05:09 PM

Poor Mick. Men...Natures gift to heartless girls.

Gorgeous weather so hopped on a bus today. I like hopping on buses. Doesn't matter where they are going as there will always be another to hop on to get back home and it's fun ending up wherever the bus ends up. Anyway I digress..

Youngsters smiled back to my smile and nod and happily got on with what they were looking at or texting too but not the oldies...oh no not them. Sour faced, unsmiling, grumpy, moaners the lot of em. You have never heard the likes of it.

Now it is a tad warm we know and it has been so for all of one or two days..and we did have a sleep disturing hour of the thunder last night but you would think listening to all the groaning that the sun was out just to spite them. Now of course it is, as the sun is for the young and we oldies just get hot and bothered by it...so you wonder why not wait till it cools down. Simples hey

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 11:16 AM

The Wife had one of her rare episodes of humour yesterday, the MIL died back at the end of April, and an appointment was made sometime around this period for a Social Worker to call, we assumed to asses the Fil, to see if he had any specific needs.

Well, he turned up at 2.00pm yesterday, sat on the couch, opened his folder and said "I'm here to see Jean" to witch the wife responded "She died in April, her ashes are in that room if you want to go and have talk with her", she smiled straight after to make it less awkward for the poor chap.

She is now (and always was) my official understudy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 11:18 AM

The MIL would be dead proud as well.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 01:59 PM

You’re doing a fine job working on the wife’s comedy Spitty, her sense of humour is going to be very important when you retire and the pair of you are spending a lot of time together, keep up the lessons and she’ll be a regular Joan Rivers by then.
My missus came out with something funny a few minutes ago, although I think she was being serious when she said it, hard to know with women. I casually said that a race meeting in England was called off today (Worcester) and wondered why as the weather was so good “Maybe they’re afraid the horses might get sunburned” says she. “Then God help all them Arabian stallions in the desert” says I.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

25-07-2019, 02:04 PM

You keep on smiling Solo, that’ll keep you in the good form you’re always in, Summer and Winter.

Maybe it’s just me but I think the Springs and Autumns are slowly disappearing, Winters are certainly longer, from November right through the new year till the weather starts to warm up again in April, six months of cold and of course the rain, then you have Spring Summer and Autumn all squashed together for the other six months, seems we have calendar change as well as climate change now, we’re all doomed.
I remember when the government only paid fuel allowance for four months of the year, now they pay it for six months with the odd week extra if the weather is severe, something is going haywire.
Anyway at least we got some great memories to play over again in our heads before it all goes belly up, it’s the young who won’t have time to make any memories that I think about.
I actually love the heat, Phyllis can’t keep me out of the garden, stretched out on me lounger listening to the PG Wodehouse Jeeves and Wooster novels on audio, Simon Callow does a great job of reading them, this is my third time to listen to them in full and they still make me laugh, what a marvellous way with words Wodehouse had.
I’m also getting a deep tan on me lily white body, not sure whether it’s tan or rust though, must be tan, I’m too well oiled to go rusty.
There’s a new slogan for Arthur “Guinness is good for you, it also makes you rustproof”
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2019, 05:13 PM

You have to smile don't you spitty. If that Social worker had taken your wifes offer up he would probably have had the most meaningful talk that he has had with anyone in a long time.

Those Audio books sound great if you you can stand having those thingies stuffed in yer ears or those ones that smother yer ears which unfortunately I can't. Not sure where the dislike comes from and lord knows I have given it a go many times from walkmans to ipods etc but always failed as I can't concentrate with the ear torture.

Now I don't get this with a 'hold in the hand' book. I can calmly enjoy turning pages, absorb the story line and get to the end physically intact ..and if a fly comes along I can use the book as a fly swat. Better still in this warm weather I can use it as a fan or.. take note here Jem..I can put it over my belly to stop sunburn. You can't do that with an audio book now can you

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

28-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You might think this strange Sweetie but, although we get on great with the neighbours, to do the last four brick courses their side involves me looking straight onto their patio, and, I feel awkward doing that, when they are at home. It is about this time of year they go on holiday, so, as soon as they go, I will finish it.

I have all the materials to finish it, so, it wont be long.

Next door went for two weeks today, so, started bricking, then, it started raining and it looks like its in for two weeks, on and off.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

28-07-2019, 02:29 PM

That’s hard luck Spitty, still yis were all praying for rain last week and the good lord obliged with buckets full, be careful what you wish for, I love the warm hot weather and you didn’t hear me moaning for rain.
Seriously, I'm sure you'll get a good weather break to do the work.

Talking about neighbours, the chap who owns the house next door to me rents it out, he has about a dozen houses in the area and he’s a miserable so and so, has his confirmation money still as they say.
He charges 2,000 euros per month rent and if you saw him you’d give him a shilling, drives a battered old crock and he’d need an operation to get the old Columbo style trench coat off his back.
New tenants moved in a few weeks ago and when I was talking to one of the lads (there are four barmen sharing the house) on the first day they moved in I told him to make sure he gets his deposit back when he’s leaving, yerman has a reputation of making up any excuse rather than give deposits back, greedy bastard, he didn’t just get on the property ladder, he got on the property elevator, it’s not fair on the young couples who are trying to buy the old houses in the area they were born and raised.
I can’t stand greedy people.
solo
UK

28-07-2019, 06:40 PM

Bit like the buses...you wait ages then 2 of you come along. Glad you are both OK

We have a few of those miserly types around here that are that tight fisted they would not let a f*rt off even if it cripples em to keep it in...but they all seems to be thriving so it can't be that bad of a trait to have.

Spitty. Hope you can get the job finished now the neighbours have departed and remember...A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others have thrown at him..or summat like that

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top