Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Re: Pharaoh khafre

I am sorry to hear that, Susan. Good thinking on your part putting on a scarf and covering your face. IMO Muslim men have absolutely no respect for women, especially western women. Unfortunately, those Muslims still are thinking like it is 1,300 years ago. They have a very long way to go before they become civilized.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
It was about 10 years ago when I went on a cruise on the Nile . It was fantastic but my friend and I couldn't get off the boat without being surrounded by shouting pushing men trying to sell stuff . If we tried to walk into the town it was a nightmare .

I found a way though , I wore a scarf over my head and covered my face except for my eyes , they then left us alone to a certain extent . Females with a Male were left to walk and shop
They just don't learn do they. Fed up with being hassled and questioned about uncles in Yorkshire, we found one shop that displayed the sign 'No Hassle'. This shop was full of tourists spending their money on the usual Egyptian tat. If only the others would realise that if they would just back off, they would sell more.

I remember buying ten bookmarks off one of the kids, only to be surrounded by a mob of kids trying to sell me more. How many books do they think I can read at once?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Such an interesting threat, Bakerman. This is one of the places for which I am collecting ideas and suggestions and hoping to see in the next few years.

The expressions of Khafre have always stood out to me, something like a Mona Lisa smile that isn't present in many other statues and sarcophagi. From my art history courses, I remember that diorite is smoothed the same way in which other granites were - with small spheres of diorite. Apparently, those hand-sized spheres were prized by other workman.

How enjoyable to read everyone's experiences. Mags, that was a most thoughtful and imaginative gift from your husband!

Looking good, there, Ciderman! I am sure that your visit was exceptional in that there were fewer people there than the hoards of today.

It seems that those who have been to Egypt always remember it as an unmatched experience.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 07:04 AM

ABU SIMBEL
Pharaoh Ramses 2nd The Great , the longest ruling pharaoh (66 years) he had over 100 children but his number 1 wife and the love of his life was Nefertari. To show how much she meant to him Ramses built her temple next to his AND she was carved as equal in size to him.

South of Aswan, 45 minutes by air, 12 hours by bus.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	201801091515461884_5a541cfceaeaa_watermark_800_800.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	11486  
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 11:45 AM

We rode around the pyramids on horseback.
It was ok but being harassed by Arabs was dreadful.
bakerman
Mexico

25-01-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
We rode around the pyramids on horseback.
It was ok but being harassed by Arabs was dreadful.
Hi Muddy, You are the 2nd woman to mention this. I had not realized it was so different for western females. If I may ask, did you have a male companion with you ?

Quite different for me as I am 6 feet, 3 inches tall, and 200 lbs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2020, 12:37 PM

This is something you will find interesting Bakerman;

Scientists have fulfilled a mummified Egyptian priest's wish for life after death - by replicating his voice with artificial vocal cords created by 3D printing.

A tried and tested way of reproducing an accurate voice; It's hoped his voice will once again 'speak' at Karnak temple fulfilling the priest's wish.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51223828
bakerman
Mexico

25-01-2020, 01:11 PM

Yes, Longdogs. Quite interesting. I saw that on my daily news.
However, I wonder if the mummification process altered his vocal cords ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, Longdogs. Quite interesting. I saw that on my daily news.
However, I wonder if the mummification process altered his vocal cords ?
Possibly. I don't suppose we will ever know for sure.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top