Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 08:11 AM

Re: When people don’t talk

Muddy, I would not mind betting these two Lasses are Librarians by trade?.
Having grown up in a Cacophony, a controlled silence can be a respite, but, not wanting to engage per se is something else, low adrenaline possibly.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:17 AM

When I read this I thought these two were teenagers . How odd that at their ages they show such disinterest.

Just a thought Muddy do you ever get board games out and when has their been a time when they have laughed or enthused with you both?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:22 AM

I hope they thanked you for your hospitality and letting them stay, Muddy
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:26 AM

Muddy step children are never easy & there are only two ways to deal with them when they are in your home...

1) If they won't chat, then mention that you are in need of stimulating conversation so going to chat on your regular forum and see how they respond. If they don't respond then mention that they may like to help prepare the veg for dinner whilst you are busy.

2) Ask what they chat about with friends & encourage them to talk. If they respond you may learn something new & , if they don't, you have to accept that they are just like many other younger people!
Isn't that what the "Just Talk" ads on TV are all about?

You can try as hard as you like, but one thing I have learned is that it is not easy to change a person who has been brought up by others that have a different outlook on life. You just have to accept them for the people they are!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 09:56 AM

I tell you what though.....it's a great relief when they leave....

Speaking from experience!..
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I don't quite understand why these two come to visit if they're too rude to talk to you. Why not suggest to your husband that he meets them on his own or goes to their place? To use a crude phrase, they're pig ignorant IMO. if they dislike you for some reason then they should be adult enough to explain why - if they're just addicted to their phones then they definitely have arrested development and should stay away. they wouldn't be welcome at my place that's for sure.
They don’t come very often but as they didn’t see their dad at Christmas ( we just had the dog as it’s dog non grata where they go for Christmas) they came to see him and of course he always happy to see them.
The fact is the three of them together don’t talk much !
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Muddy step children are never easy & there are only two ways to deal with them when they are in your home...

1) If they won't chat, then mention that you are in need of stimulating conversation so going to chat on your regular forum and see how they respond. If they don't respond then mention that they may like to help prepare the veg for dinner whilst you are busy.

2) Ask what they chat about with friends & encourage them to talk. If they respond you may learn something new & , if they don't, you have to accept that they are just like many other younger people!
Isn't that what the "Just Talk" ads on TV are all about?

You can try as hard as you like, but one thing I have learned is that it is not easy to change a person who has been brought up by others that have a different outlook on life. You just have to accept them for the people they are!
Have tried various things Twink with no result so you are right just have to accept and go for more long walks with the dog
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2020, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I hope they thanked you for your hospitality and letting them stay, Muddy
Yes they did and apologised for the dog poop .
Oh yuK
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2020, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
When I read this I thought these two were teenagers . How odd that at their ages they show such disinterest.

Just a thought Muddy do you ever get board games out and when has their been a time when they have laughed or enthused with you both?
You have hit the name on the head susan with the word disinterest .

No never do board games and now you mention it they never laugh or enthuse about anything .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

20-01-2020, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->

That is the right word Susan disinterest .
No we don’t do board games and come to think of it I have never seen them laugh or enthuse about anything .

They came sking with us some years ago ( mr M treated them ) and it was the same they never met up with us on time at lunch times or went to apres ski and spent much of it together drinking tea .
I took my little grand daughter so was looking after her so I was occupied .

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top