Join for free
Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:11 PM

Re: Your expertise/ experience/ knowledge.

I started out as an electrician, twice made redundant, packed fruit gums for a while before joining the estate department of the same company, working outside mostly, hedge and grass cutting, tarmacing, driving a street sweeper, gully cleaning, driving vans and tractors, then moved onto hoover as a white goods engineer, but left after a year ( hated it) , self employed as a car telephone installer, ( not enough work to keep going)
Joined a company repairing commercial laundry equipment and hand dryers, before twice being bought out by other companies, eventually had enough and now do maintenance in a care home, not to mention all the diy jobs done to the house and garden over the years...quite a skill set..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:37 PM

Did seven years apprenticeship as a mechanical engineer and general machinist...
Picked up some qualifications on the way.....
Spent the next 30 years making stuff out of metal, give me a centre lathe and a milling machine and there's not much I can't make.

Later in my career I set up a spark erosion department in the company I worked for as well as repairing/fault finding and installing machinery. Unfortunately, someone invented a computer controlled programmable tool station that could do everything that I could do, cheaper, faster, and didn't require a couple of weeks holiday a year.
So I became surplus to requirement.....

Used my redundancy money to buy a van and became a self employed courier for 8 years and finally a postman....

So if you want advice on making stuff out of metal, delivering parcels or posting things through letterboxes.....give me a call......Oh!....I can also sharpen stuff ...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:42 PM

I've done a bit of Stuff, but numbered it, for future reference.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:43 PM

One day it will be important, maybe.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2020, 11:55 PM

I miss the camaraderie that work brought. Talking about customers, fault finding etc. There were the Radio Rentals days for me. They went on for decades.

In the end, quite a few of us Radio Rentals boys went self-employed and we co-operated in friendly competition. Always popping into each others places of work for a cuppa and a chat. A meet-up at Christmas and all that.

Ah yes, I miss those times.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 08:54 AM

Thinking back I've done all sorts ....i managed a recruitment agency for 10 years before having the kids then when the kids were tiny I worked for a newspaper in special events for ten years then back in recruitment this time working for myself....then after selling the business to retire.I got bored and out of the blue via a pal I was offered a contract that was supposed to just cover a 6 month sabbatical...ended up 3 years working for the Home Office/ DH...no idea how I ended up there...between all this we also did house renovation and to be honest if I had my time to come again I would just do that...I loved doing that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Why? Are you planning on being a tart 😂
Planning not required.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-01-2020, 12:57 PM

I was a Manufacturing Analyst with a medium sized Engineering Company, was a report compiler par excellence. Got to see the latter part industrial transition, not sure the skill set acquired is of any practical use now, no intention of relocating to China or India.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2020, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I was a Manufacturing Analyst with a medium sized Engineering Company, was a report compiler par excellence. Got to see the latter part industrial transition, not sure the skill set acquired is of any practical use now, no intention of relocating to China or India.
You sound like a very 'Adaptable' chap to me Spitty....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

21-01-2020, 11:01 PM

Like many, its been a strange journey, wouldn't have had it any other way.

Page 5 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top