Join for free
Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 09:45 AM

Re: Petition by Age UK protesting withdrawal of free TV licences for over 75s

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
So why do you come on these threads? Not to make friends that is obvious.

Good question, Emjay.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JJ50 ->
I like my own company so that would be bliss.
Then, dare I ask, are you on here?
Edited, sorry beaten by others
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 10:47 AM

Food, a place to live, clothes and warmth are essential to a person's life, definitely not a TV. The Government has better things on which to spend the tax payer's money than free TV licences.
Tax payers' money is ours, shouldn't we have a choice in how we spend it and how we treat our elderly, most of whom have 'done their bit' in life!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
– Snip –

But that will be fine will it, because you have warm clothes and food. If you are really lucky, the nurse might even remember to bring you a newspaper once a month!
If you are really, really lucky, not suffering from dementia or any form of those types of debilitating disease that are so prevalent as we live longer, you might even remember the nurse or even what a nurse is, or who you are and why you are here on this earth! Getting old for some is definitely no fun, I've seen this at first-hand and can assure you it's horrendous!

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What a smug response
If you are old, housebound and lonely TV may not be essential to life but it certainly adds to the quality of life for some elderly people
Exactly! If it's good enough for some MPs to have FREE TV licences for their second home, yes second home, it's good enough for any of us, when we become elderly and maybe infirm to have something for free to allow us something in our daily lives that keeps us in touch with the world!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Things like the Chinese Space Programme perhaps?

And the Indian one.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 11:31 AM

*** Please stay on topic.

Thank you.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 12:28 PM

Food, a place to live, clothes and warmth are essential to a person's life, definitely not a TV. The Government has better things on which to spend the tax payer's money than free TV licences.

I have to say...I could live without the TVs channels...because most of what they show is rubbish..IMO.

I have prime Amazon ...so watch a lot of films..I really look forward to watching those of an evening.

I would miss them....but way back,when there were no TVs....you just find other ways to entertain oneself.

But because I have a tv...I couldn't give it up now...

If you are confused....then so am I...after reading my post back to me.

Edit to add...I never watch tv...so I can,I believe,cancel my tv license...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I have to say...I could live without the TVs channels...because most of what they show is rubbish..IMO.

I have prime Amazon ...so watch a lot of films..I really look forward to watching those of an evening.
I tend to agree. There certainly is a lot of rubbish on TV these days. In my opinion, there are few programmes that are really worth watching and when I look at the number of programmes I record, there are not many.

With the present discussions about TV licences, and the greed of the BBC in denying over-75s their free licences, I can foresee more and more people opting for films, etc. on the internet, both the free ones and the paid-for ones.

Unless the quality of TV programmes improves, I might do just that as well.

It's not just the cost of the licence, which isn't all that great. It's the fact that we are being held to ransom by the BBC who certainly don't deserve our support, bearing in mind the crap that they produce and, more importantly, their undeniable political bias.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I tend to agree. There certainly is a lot of rubbish on TV these days. In my opinion, there are few programmes that are really worth watching and when I look at the number of programmes I record, there are not many.

With the present discussions about TV licences, and the greed of the BBC in denying over-75s their free licences, I can foresee more and more people opting for films, etc. on the internet, both the free ones and the paid-for ones.

It's not just the cost of the licence, which isn't all that great. It's the fact that we are being held to ransom by the BBC who certainly don't deserve our support, bearing in mind the crap that they produce and, more importantly, their undeniable political bias.

I agree..JBR!.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Weekend TV is the worst. All the crap repeats that you 'missed' during the week are now repeated again at the weekend just in case.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2019, 03:42 PM

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/...n=campaigns_TV
Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
A petition protesting about the withdrawal of this concession for over 75s to have a free TV licence has been started by Age UK:

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/tv-licen...es-gmb-latest/

The petition has now reached more than 371,000 signatures and can be found on a link in the text of the above link should anyone wish to sign it.

Or you can access the petition direct on this link without going via the news item:

www.ageuk.org.uk/tvpetition
For anyone interested below is an update on the Age UK petition received in an e-mail to me today, quoted below:

"Thank you so much – you are really keeping up the pressure on TV licences. I wanted to update you on what’s been going on.

Over 36,000 of your fellow campaigners have written to Jeremy Hunt and Boris Johnson to ask them to stick by their manifesto promise. This is phenomenal! We are planning how to hand your letters in to them both next week in a way that gets the most media attention possible.

Nearly 6000 of you tweeted Hunt and Johnson within the space of 24 hours which meant they got the message loud and clear just how many of us are angry about this. Together we are a real force to be reckoned with.

Our petition has reached over 600,000 signatures and we’re continuing to get stories in the papers every week. We’re also trying to make sure a question is asked about TV licences at all the Conservative leadership hustings.

Thank you for all of your support – I’ll be in touch again very soon,

Rosie
Age UK Campaigns Team"

Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top