Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:30 AM

Coronavirus Aftermath

I've been thinking a lot lately how some people have been shielding so strictly, not seeing anyone, not daring to leave the house, some even not daring to go into their own garden in case it's airborne, a friend of mine was so paranoid at one point and wouldn't even venture into her own garden. I understand her reasons as she has a very poor immune system having emphysema, Crohns, Thyroid disease. Her emphysema means she only has 37 percent lung capacity so she knows if she caught the virus she would probably not make it.

She got brave went out with her daughters to Nandos to eat out for the first time last week and now she allows me to go sit in her garden and she really enjoyed it and is thinking of going out a little more now.

I think so many people have lost 6 months of their lives already and I'm wondering if you think people should start venturing out now to try live some kind of normal life?

I think Covid-19 is here to stay just like the flu, I'm not saying covid and the flu are the same because they most certainly are not, but the flu and pneumonia is very dangerous too yet we all go about our normal business in winter time when the flu is about, so should we carry on with business as usual with Covid or should the vulnerable shield still.

Personally I'm going about my business as normal now just taking safe measures like mask wearing, social distancing, regular hand washing and sanitising. I'm thinking life is short anyway and do I want to go about thinking 'what if I get it'

Should we risk it or not.

Your thoughts please.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:42 AM

Re: Coronavirus Aftermath

Queenie, I have thought the same as you, and that Covid in some form or another, is here to stay, no matter whether there is a vaccine or not.

They have a vaccine for flu, but it doesn't stop it coming every winter does it.

I also agree with you about being sensible, don't take risks, but at the same time carry on with life.
No one gets anything for me, so I have to go out, I just protect myself as best I can and don't get too close to anyone else. I wear my mask or shield, and also disposable gloves. I wash my hands thoroughly and even blow my nose incase I might have inhaled anything.
I also wipe my car steering wheel, gear stick and hand brake.

Whether that is thought to be paranoid or not, I don't care. I am just trying to look after myself best I can, but I still have to go out.

I miss my friends though at my Yoga and exercise classes, as they haven't resumed yet, but so be it.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Testing, has anyone been tested. Is it only advisable if you have any symptoms or just to eliminate yourself as covid free.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Testing, has anyone been tested. Is it only advisable if you have any symptoms or just to eliminate yourself as covid free.

Thing is Cinders, even with testing, it only shows you have or haven't got it at that time, so you could appear 'clear' but that won't stop us contracting it a couple of weeks later.
So unless we had continuing repeat tests, I am not sure how useful it is.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Hi

Yes, been tested, so has Guy.

Done on hospital visits.

The thing that seriously annoys me is that though we have very cases here and nobody in ITU, our hospitals have still not opened up.

Other hospitals are doing much more.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 12:50 PM

LQ of course you must get back to normal life . I'm sure your doing the right things . Be cautious around anyone with a cold etc etc . Same as all of us . Besides if we are so cautious we also have less chance of catching the blinking flu . I'm just being as I always was but mask wearing and more sanitizing.

Come on round lets open a bottle of wine

Virtual hug
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:04 PM

I'm one of the ones who has 'locked' herself away since the beginning of March, only been outdoors 4 times in that period and that's gone up to 5 today when I went to the hairdressers.

It hasn't been because I'm paranoid, I'm certainly not that, it's more like Mr Mags and I have tried to be sensible and made sure we haven't put either of us at risks or others at risk. I will be going out again next week when I have an appointment with the Audiologist in town and travelling by bus.... now that's going to be a bit daunting
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Indeed Mups, key workers priority so will continue as we are.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Queenie, I have thought the same as you, and that Covid in some form or another, is here to stay, no matter whether there is a vaccine or not.

They have a vaccine for flu, but it doesn't stop it coming every winter does it.

I also agree with you about being sensible, don't take risks, but at the same time carry on with life.
No one gets anything for me, so I have to go out, I just protect myself as best I can and don't get too close to anyone else. I wear my mask or shield, and also disposable gloves. I wash my hands thoroughly and even blow my nose incase I might have inhaled anything.
I also wipe my car steering wheel, gear stick and hand brake.

Whether that is thought to be paranoid or not, I don't care. I am just trying to look after myself best I can, but I still have to go out.

I miss my friends though at my Yoga and exercise classes, as they haven't resumed yet, but so be it.
I think thats the best and only thing we can do, do whatever it takes to keep ourselves safe and it if that means wiping down goods brought into the house then thats what one needs to do. I guess i used the word paranoid without thinking and it may be the wrong word.

If someone thinks someone is paranoid in how they deal with the virus it doesn't really matter, to that person its not about paranoia, its about keeping yourself safe and alive.

Susan, come on round, bring that bottle of wine with you hehe. X
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm one of the ones who has 'locked' herself away since the beginning of March, only been outdoors 4 times in that period and that's gone up to 5 today when I went to the hairdressers.

It hasn't been because I'm paranoid, I'm certainly not that, it's more like Mr Mags and I have tried to be sensible and made sure we haven't put either of us at risks or others at risk. I will be going out again next week when I have an appointment with the Audiologist in town and travelling by bus.... now that's going to be a bit daunting

Do you really have to go by bus Mags?
Haven't you a relative or neighbour that can take you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top