Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 02:50 AM

Totally Irrelevant Stuff (T.I.S.)

In the "I'm Muslim - Hug me" thread, Muddy has soared off on a tangent about dolphins !

Silly stuff of course, but needs a rebuttal just to air the facts.
Doing that in the Muslim thread will further side-track the discussion but it's hardly worth starting a whole new Topic about.

This happens a fair bit in many threads so I wondered if a place like this might enable us to quickly correct things as they arise.
'Tis my view we could just post "taken to T.I.S" in the original thread - or something like that.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Re: Totally Irrelevant Stuff (T.I.S.)

That could really get someone's back up, what may be irrelevant to you may be of interest to others, different strokes for different folks.

Most threads will get side tracked at some point, it's the norm, there's no need for correction, if you feel so strong about it you can always report your grievance to Admin and let them deal with it if they feel it necessary
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
It's not like accusing another member of
"living in the outback bullying aborigines"
when he lives in a coastal marine park and has spent half his life working as a volunteer for aboriginal advancement.
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I trust there aren't some poor exploited dolphins in that marine park .
It is not an entertainment venue/aquarium like Seaworld etc in which animals are kept in captivity and trained to perform.

Far from it.
It is the world-heritage-listed Pumicestone Passage Marine Park which offers protection from commercial fishing and even limits recreational fishing - with all manner of other restrictions on use and development.
For your information I have served as
Secretary of the Pumicestone Passage Fish Restocking Association Inc
and as a member of he
Pumicestone Shorebird Management Group.
Pumicestone
Australia

23-11-2015, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
That could really get someone's back up, what may be irrelevant to you may be of interest to others, different strokes for different folks.

Most threads will get side tracked at some point, it's the norm, there's no need for correction, if you feel so strong about it you can always report your grievance to Admin and let them deal with it if they feel it necessary
Thank you for expressing your view, Honey.
It very well might be that most others feel that way too.
In which case, this thread will die a natural death and no harm will have been done.

Fairly often though, we do hear grumbles about being "Off Topic" - and many times I have been the offender.
Sometimes it does seem to detract from earnest discussion of the main topic.

No question
of "reporting grievances" or anything like that.
Just thought that occasionally it might prove helpful to have this option available.

Cannot imagine why that would "get anybody's back up".
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 04:39 AM

Hi

Well Pumicestone, you and I are in agreement about the facts.

The only difference being that facts need to be accurate, which is where we do differ.

Facts inform a discussion, however the wrong facts lead to wrong conclusions.

These conclusions can then be very dangerous.

An example of this would be a conclusion that the occasional acts of violence by Radical Muslims in our society are acceptable as they are far outweighed by by the benefits these people bring.
Pumicestone
Australia

23-11-2015, 05:16 AM

The fact is that such comments are perfectly relevant and appropriate in one of the many Muslim threads.
Not here.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 05:52 AM

In the "I'm Muslim - Hug me" thread, Muddy has soared off on a tangent about dolphins !

Doing that in the Muslim thread will further side-track the discussion but it's hardly worth starting a whole new Topic about.

This happens a fair bit in many threads so I wondered if a place like this might enable us to quickly correct things as they arise.
'Tis my view we could just post "taken to T.I.S" in the original thread - or something like that.
Hi

Just merely following your lead, your suggestion that we use this thread to quickly correct things.

Never mind, I will merely go off and post the same on the Muslim threads as you call them.
Pumicestone
Australia

23-11-2015, 05:59 AM

The clear difference is that Muddy raised aborigines and dolphins in a Muslim thread - obviously irrelevant.

You
want to talk about Muslims, you know where to go (so to speak). Ample existing Muslim threads.
See you there for your next verbal flogging
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 10:16 AM

The clear difference is that Muddy raised aborigines and dolphins in a Muslim thread - obviously irrelevant.

You
want to talk about Muslims, you know where to go (so to speak). Ample existing Muslim threads.
See you there for your next verbal flogging
But analogies are constantly used when discussing religion - so are parables come to that. Annoys the hell out of me. In this case you might well have to bite the bullet and swim with the flow (no pun intended - or was there?) .

I did ask about a 'like' button so maybe you should ask for whether or not a 'T.I.S' button could be added .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Pumicestone thread topics 'evolve'.

We do not have hard and fast rules about sticking to the topic here, we have tried it and people hate having their off topic posts removed.

If a thread starter objects to their thread being taken off topic we can split it and post a note that the thread starter requested the action.

If members want the kind of site where every topic is scrutinised and all off topic posts removed they can suggest it to Admin using Feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top