Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 12:32 AM

Foreign Aid - wasted ?

In the "Crisis in the Elderly" thread,
we (I?) strayed into discussion of Foreign Aid which some felt should be better spent at home.

Figured this might be a better option if anyone wishes to pursue that subject.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 12:36 AM

Re: Foreign Aid - wasted ?

Ball rolling ...
Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
I doubt if Britain "wastes" much aid money these days.
As I said, funds are now generally much better managed and controlled than in the past.
But if you have evidence ........ ?

Even so, millions of children starving to death ever year or dying from easily preventable diseases must surely bother most humans ?
Few developed countries contribute more than 1% or 2% of GDP.
And even then, there are often trade or defence strings-attached.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 03:07 AM

Whether UK aid money is wasted or not doesnt matter...the fact that we give it when our own are struggling really pisses me off.

One of my pet hates is that so many ex-service personnel are living on the streets and suffering from PTSD.....also the amount if kids and the eldery living in poverty.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 03:13 AM

Many countries rely on our aid handouts in order to run their space programmes or too finance their dictatorships and to take this cash away from many of the worlds most corrupt agencies could possibly result in them no longer living in a life of luxury and may be against their human rights
Pumicestone
Australia

15-12-2016, 03:15 AM

Don't you ever sleep, mate ?
What time is it in Pommieland - just after 2am ?

Can't get into this topic at the moment - on my way out - but rest assured ..........
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 03:21 AM

I have difficulty sleeping....that's why I like your threads/topics.....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry....where was I?

Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Ball rolling ...
if you go on-line you will read about the thousands of instances of the corrupt misuse of Foreign Aid
Written by Journalists who were actually there and sometimes the recipients of this aid
It stars with or the Agency's who handle the Aid and receive huge salaries, to the Dictators and the Military of the Countries who are beneficiaries.
I refer you to "War Games" written by ward winning journalist Linda Polman who was there in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
The contents is shocking and it is all true.
For some Countries Foreign aid is a licence to print money
for people in power.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Many countries rely on our aid handouts in order to run their space programmes or too finance their dictatorships and to take this cash away from many of the worlds most corrupt agencies could possibly result in them no longer living in a life of luxury and may be against their human rights
You are quite right and many Dictators now have bought property in the UK as well as sending their many wives to Harrods and Paris to spend £thousands.

Libya receive aid from UK, yet when he died and most brutal death, he was one of the richest men in the World with assets in every country for himself and family and billions on off-shore accounts all taken for the oil wells ,while many of his people lived in poverty.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:23 AM

This is the list of the top ten donor countries 2014

International aid in 2014 Top 10
1. United States
2. United Kingdom
3. Germany
4. France
5. Japan
6. Sweden
7. Netherlands
8. Norway
9. Australia
10. Canada
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35226478

The top 10 recipients of development aid for 2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b00f741735477f
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Whether UK aid money is wasted or not doesnt matter...the fact that we give it when our own are struggling really pisses me off.

One of my pet hates is that so many ex-service personnel are living on the streets and suffering from PTSD.....also the amount if kids and the elderly living in poverty.
Quite so Tpin..
I would say giving to specific projects in a country is one thing, giving wads of money for rulers to spend on their own pet projects is another thing entirely.

But then should the government be giving foreign aid at all when there are so many 'causes' nearer to home.
I am aware of the reasons behind foreign aid but think some may be outdated now.

There is nothing to prevent members of the public supporting causes in other countries should they choose to spend their money that way by donating to charities like Oxfam or Water aid.
My grandchildren's school has adopted a school in Malawi and they are helping to replace a storm-damaged roof a voluntary project.

Time to reevaluate foreign aid and I understand Priti Patel the International development secretary is doing just that.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top