Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 11:09 AM

Re: old versus new (laptop vs ipad)

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I would highly recommend a tablet of some kind if you can afford one.
And if you live in an area with good mobile signal, not everyone does, even in England I found several areas where there is no signal, these modern tablets won't work then will they

Of course maybe there is a land line socket on them, if there is no one has mentioned it in all the reviews I've read.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by jaywalker ->
I love my ipad and for taking on travels it cannot be beaten but it is also brilliant for entertainment and fun. We are a bit technology nutty and have two Mac desktops, a Windows laptop, two ipads and two ipods. An IT friend of mine believes that it won't be long before tablets (eg ipads) take over from PCs for people at home who mainly want email, internet and entertainment. I would highly recommend a tablet of some kind if you can afford one.
I am a Mac user too and would never go back to Windows; I also have an iPad which I find very convenient.
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2012, 07:16 PM

I dont have a problem with buying an Ipad, just using one, they are completly alien to me, its an whole new ball game and I am at the age when new technology is very hard to understand, so I will keep with my desktop and maybe upgrade when the new windows 8 surfaces.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
And if you live in an area with good mobile signal, not everyone does, even in England I found several areas where there is no signal, these modern tablets won't work then will they

Of course maybe there is a land line socket on them, if there is no one has mentioned it in all the reviews I've read.
That's true but then that caveat applies to all mobile devices such as laptops, iphones and tablets. One you are out of the house you are at the mercy of the phone coverage - that's how they work because that's what they are designed for - taking with you.
Having said that, we find the 3G coverage much better wherever we go in England than the wi-fi internet via a dongle. We did that with a mini laptop a few years ago and wasted £60 on wi-fi data we couldn't access except in a park in Glasgow whereas we have had no trouble at all picking up the 3G network. I guess it's a matter of what you want one for.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2012, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I couldn't get on with the Ipad , I am no good where I have to use my fingers to control things, likewise with the laptop I need to use a mouse for control
mags - I use a stylus with my ipad )like a biro but with a soft rubber end) - you can buy them in the IT accessories dept of any big shop - they make using the ipad much more accurate and easy
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania

02-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
I dont have a problem with buying an Ipad, just using one, they are completly alien to me, its an whole new ball game and I am at the age when new technology is very hard to understand, so I will keep with my desktop and maybe upgrade when the new windows 8 surfaces.
ipads are easier to use than a desktop or laptop - much simpler and much quicker. It's really only a matter of getting someone to show you and I think you would be surprised at their simplicity of use. They are meant chiefly for email and internet, photos, music and entertainment and don't replace a desktop but are brilliant for travel and out and about. I take mine in my handbag to appointment, hairdresser, meetings etc. My 86 year old b-in-l has just traded his ipad1 for ipad3 and loves it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2012, 02:31 AM

I am not a great fan of tablets I have an Android based one made by Sony which is great as a remote control and perhaps on train journeys (though I prefer my eReader) but for everything else the desktop, laptop or even my netbook are much more useful. Even printing from the tablet is a major chore and much more work is needed before they even come close to replicating the usefulness of the aforementioned.

I have used an iPad but personally think 'Apple' is just a synonym for 'overpriced' (though to be fair that is their business model and it seems to work). My tablet is rarely used.
Peter55
New Member!
County Durham
Peter55 is male 

20-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by aitch ->
Have you found any help
For your ipad use yet !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Aitch, has your brother found the iPad guide on his actual iPad? If he clicks on the bookmark icon in Safari (it's like an open book, on the top left), and he'll find the user guide. It may help him to start off with the basics.

I held off buying one until late last year, for cost reasons, and love it. I also have a desktop, laptop and netbook. And an iPhone. I'm a 60 year old single woman (just never call me a spinster!) and love technology and gadgets!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2013, 12:58 AM

I looked for the manual on the computer and found that it is 160+ pages long, not something my brother would read, I printed him the first few chapters out, to get him started so to speak, but he is still in a rut with it, I told him to make his daughter (who supplied him with it) give him instructions on the thing, she is a chartered accountant so must be used to them, I will see what happens with him.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top