Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 07:27 PM

What was the scariest book, or the one that made the biggest impression?

I have been a fan of horror and suspense since way back when; King, Koontz, Herbert, bring them all on. But of all the books I have read down the years, there is one which haunts me even to this day, and that is one of Stephen Kings called 'The Long Walk' written under his Bachmann persona. Not a ghoulies and ghosties, not monsters or aliens, but a truly disturbing and horrifying premise. I can thoroughly recommend it, but sorry any hints will ruin it.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 07:41 PM

Re: What was the scariest book, or the one that made the biggest impression?

Ann franks diary totally disturbed me as a child ... up to then Id been a over protected from the world young girl from the country side , I knew nothing about the war and the things that happened .... I remember having terrible dreams for many years after reading that book.
But now I look back on it Im glad I read it as it was one of the frist things that started me thinking for my self and not to just except what I was told by my peers
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 10:30 PM

The magic cottage by James Herbert, until I read that I loved camping in the woods, after reading it we got a caravan and stayed as far from woods as possible !
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Yes, Anne Frank's diary definitely and George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 05:08 AM

For me it was King Solomon's Mines by H. Rider Haggard I thought it was really creepy and scary. Nothing else has ever scared me as much; after reading some I slept with the light on.

BTW the only film ever to give me nightmares I saw about the same time ironically a Three Stooges comedy which involved caves, treasure and revolving chairs. Make what you will of that.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 03:11 PM

The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley
(Subsequently made into a movie)
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 03:13 PM

In Cold Blood ..Truman Capote... also a good movie but not as thrilling as the book! (imo)
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Skallagrig by William Horwood. A Christian friend lent it to me, and I re-read it a year or so ago. If anyone has - or knows someone who has - cerebral palsy I would highly recommend you read it. It's haunting, very painful to read in parts but ultimately heart wrenchingly rewarding.

I also loved The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin. This is a real puzzler and I couldn't put it down.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2013, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Michael ->
The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley
(Subsequently made into a movie)
I read the book and had no desire to watch the film. The book scared me witless.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2013, 04:38 PM

Brian Keenan's "An Evil Cradling" absolutely haunting. To think humans can do this to other humans. Made me prefer animals so much more!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top