Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Moonin
New Member!
Bedfordshire
Moonin is female 

09-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Best book ever!!!

Hi

I've just finished reading I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.
I'm so sorry it's finished.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/I-Am-Pilgrim...s=i+am+pilgrim

What's the one book you would recommend ?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Re: Best book ever!!!

That looks like a good read Anne, glad you enjoyed it. I'm getting too lazy to read lately, besides my eyes get very tired so I mostly listen to audio books now, I'm going back on the old thrillers like Paul Temple and Lord Peter Wimsey at the moment, wouldn't know what to suggest, Terry Hayes seems like a hard act to follow, maybe you'll just have to wait for his next work.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2013, 10:58 PM

I'm not one much for ANY fiction. I enjoy biographies & autobiographies.

"The moons a balloon" by DAvid Niven comes to mind.

"The long walk to freedom" by Nelson Mandela, is a must read.

AS for fiction Mark Haddons "The curious case of the dog in the Nightime" takes some beating.

I rushed out to buy the "Diary of Adrian MOle" after hearing it on the radio. BUt it seems rather twee now.

I can't take to JK Rowling, although I am grateful for her generous financial support to PARKINSONS DISEASE research.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 08:37 AM

I am fond of old editions of my local A to Z.
ShirleyMarie
Michigan, USA
ShirleyMarie is female  ShirleyMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 04:13 PM

I love to read on the computer so I can adjust the print so I can see it well. I am a very fast reader when I can see the print easy.
I am reading "Lone Wolf" on the laptop...a story about a man who studied wild wolves, lived with a wolf pack for 2 years...then had a car accident with his daughter. He has a massive brain injury that he will likely never recover from. Daughter had broken scapula. Son returned from his home in Cambodia, where he teaches English. He left home after a arguement with his father about the son being gay. Now 29, the son and father made an agreement and wrote it out and signed it, 14 years ago that said if the father became too ill or injured to make decision on his treatment the son would. Now that decision has to be made and the daughter, at 17 and not of age to to legally have a opinion that counts wants the father kept alive by life support but the son wants to unplug him because he believes that would be the father's wish. I haven't finished the book yet, so I can't say how it will end. It is a ebook I got free from Amazon....I get about a dozen books offered free per day and take advantage of them, also occassionaly buy a 0.99 special.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 05:23 PM

Robert Junior - I have to agree that "The curious case of the dog in the Nightime" is a fascinating, unique read. My only grumble was that the 'A' level maths question seemed far too easy - barely 'O' level standard in my day!

However, my all time favourite book would be "To kill a Mockingbird".
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 05:56 PM

I couldn't recommend a single book as I read so many I couldn't choose a favourite.

I tend to look out for new ones by my favourite authors and when I've exhausted them, go for somebody different. Most are persistently good but a very few put out some duff reads.

Here, in no particular order, are the authors I steer towards the most (and am trying to finish all that they've written):

Jilly Cooper (silly and funny romps)
Stephen Leather (thriller)
Simon Kernick (thriller)
James Rollins (thriller/fantasy)
James Herbert (horror)
Peter James (thriller)
Martina Cole (gangster thrillers, started to get fed up)
Carole Matthews (chick lit)
Jeffrey Archer (yes, the politician)
Shaun Hutson (horror)
Alan Titchmarsh (surprisingly good)
Jill Mansell (chick lit)
Sophie Kinsella (1 failure)
Mike Gayle (funny)
Deric Longden (hysterically funny, writes about cats)
Bill Bryson (also very funny, writes about travel/countries)

Without going completely through my book of library loans, there are many others.

(Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I reiterate, I could never choose one favourite!!)
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Well call me a kid but I'm reading the Harry Potter books again on my kindle. Great books that are superbly written and to top it all the films based on the books were damn good too - bar for 2 where Emma Watson's acting put me right off.

Read lot of books but the big guns for me are nearly all classics, bar for Lord of the Rings and a few others.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Best book ever!!!
..I wouldn't know where to begin there are so many starting in my childhood with 'Black Beauty'and Alison Uttley's 'The Country Child' chronicling her early years in Derbyshire which echo my own.

I am a Thomas Hardy/Jane Austen / George Elliot/Charlotte Bronte fan so there are a whole host of books there and I wouldn't know which to choose.

Of more up to date offerings I remember being impressed by 'The Flowers of the Field' a vivid portrait of WW1 by Sarah Harrison (and so much better than Faulks 'Bird Song' IMO).
All of the autobiographical books about growing up in Liverpool written by Helen Forrester ....to name but a few books .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2013, 07:19 PM

Anything by Alexander McCall Smith for me! There's 3 new ones out, hoping Santa brings me one!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top