Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 11:21 PM

Re: Book lovers

Yes, don't start with Atkinson's most recent books (Life After Life and A God in Ruins) as they are quite different from the Jackson Brodie series which I loved but I found those quite hard to get engaged with.

I've just discovered a really good crime writer - Laura Wilson - set in war and post war London with a lovely detective called Ted Stratton. Not gory or forensic but very carefully researched for the period.
tootsweet
Chatterbox
Sydney, Australia
tootsweet is female  tootsweet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2016, 11:31 PM

Loved this book about a boatman on the Thames who gets sent to Australia and ends up on the banks of the Hawkesbury River in Sydney, where my daughter and her family currently live. Great page turner.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 12:11 AM

I loved this auto biography of an English boy who left home ( never to return ) and became one of the great characters of the Northern Territories.

Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 12:38 AM

When i get the time to read, i enjoy Harlem Cobern, and Sidney Sheldon novels.......
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
When I get to the end of a good book or series of books it's like losing a friend !
That's how I feel too.
WholeLottaRosie
derbyshire
WholeLottaRosie is female  WholeLottaRosie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 03:33 PM

After reading The Road Less Traveled, The Power of Now, Conversations with God books and many more, and losing many of my family members over a couple of years, I decided it was time to lighten up a bit and so I've now immersed myself in light reading with a bit of humor, I've found a couple of Irish Writers who fit the bill, Marian Keyes & Cecilia Ahern, both have a touch of humor injected into their writings, and as someone said above it's a great way of escaping for a couple of hours.
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2016, 04:16 PM

Ive read some marian Keyes novels......i enjoyed them....
Barcud
South Wales, UK
Barcud is female 

03-02-2016, 03:32 PM

I also love all Alexander McCall Smith's books and there are some real laugh out loud moments in them.
I read somewhere a description of how you feel at the end of a good book - calling it a "book hangover". I've had many of those!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmos ->
Ive read some marian Keyes novels......i enjoyed them....
Me Too.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

03-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Me Too.
And me - I always enjoy Marian Keyes books.

I think the book which had the most effect on me was Grapes of Wrath. I felt I was on that journey with them and was drained at the end. I have never been able to bring myself to re-read it.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top