Join for free
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 02:05 AM

A good Judgement from the ECHR

Hi

One that should be of interest to all Forum owners and users.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/201...ents-says-echr

I am in total agreement with this, free speech is a value we have fought hard to protect.

Whilst I have seen some insulting and rude comments, nothing has actually incited violence in my view.

So much for Tell Mama and other special interest groups.

If you aren't breaking the law, you aren't committing a crime.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Re: A good Judgement from the ECHR

Isn't that giving the green light to trolls and likely to put people who have a valid point of view off posting their opinions?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Isn't that giving the green light to trolls and likely to put people who have a valid point of view off posting their opinions?
I don't understand why people have a fear of trolls they could never deter me from expressing a view.
I have met and squished a few over the years
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Internet trolling is no different to getting junk mail through your letter box. If you are going to have an open letter box then you have to expect that anything can and will come through it. Same goes for internet forums.

The onus then is on the owners and administrators of any forum to perpetually monitor and filter out the "junk mail", the trolls, the mischief makers, so that what remains is a useful forum.

Free speech is incredibly important.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Internet trolling is no different to getting junk mail through your letter box. If you are going to have an open letter box then you have to expect that anything can and will come through it. Same goes for internet forums.

The onus then is on the owners and administrators of any forum to perpetually monitor and filter out the "junk mail", the trolls, the mischief makers, so that what remains is a useful forum.

Free speech is incredibly important.
Excellent analogy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top