Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Re: Have You Had Any Panics During This Lockdown?

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Art I've a question

How do you know what fuse is for what

I have a little pack of fuses and I wouldn't know where they go
Just replace whatever is inside the plug to start with like for like. Also the paperwork for the appliance will tell you which one to use.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 07:54 PM

Art I've a question

Are they all the same rating?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 08:22 PM

No - am not programmed to panic.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->

I searched every working appliance l own but they only had five amp fuses. Then l spied my oven plug. Alleluia, a 13 amp fuse.
I fitted it into the fridge freezer plug and the motor purred into action.
I was so relieved so happy. The thought of ringing round to purchase another fridge freezer, filled me with dread, especially as people are buying extra ones.

So l ask, have you had any panics during this lockdown?

PS, lf you have any fridge freezer problems.... l’m your man!
What are you now using for the oven?
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I hadn’t, until this afternoon.

There l was happily planting some strawberry runners in the planters of compost my daughter managed to get for me, when l realised l hadn’t got the cod loin for my dinner out of my fridge freezer.
I rushed in, got the cod out to defrost.
I then opened the fridge compartment and noticed the light wasn’t working. I wasn’t unduly worried as this happened a few weeks ago. Looking in the fridge freezer manual, it suggested this could be due to the door light switch being jammed. I twiddled with it and the light came on.
Unfortunately, when I tried it today, it didn’t work. I wasn’t too panicked as l presumed it needed a new bulb, afterall, it’s probably 15 years old.

Then l noticed, there was no motor sound, shock horror filled me as l thought... my fridge freezer has broken down, where will I put all the food? ..... the two other freezers are jam packed! I blamed myself for defrosting it lately.

I then thought, the fuse may have gone? I searched my ‘bit’ drawer and found a 13 amp fuse. I inserted it, the motor was still silent. Panic was starting to creep in on me but being the ever optimistic, l wasn’t going to give up.
I searched every working appliance l own but they only had five amp fuses. Then l spied my oven plug. Alleluia, a 13 amp fuse.
I fitted it into the fridge freezer plug and the motor purred into action. I was so relieved so happy. The thought of ringing round to purchase another fridge freezer, filled me with dread, especially as people are buying extra ones.

So l ask, have you had any panics during this lockdown?

PS, lf you have any fridge freezer problems.... l’m your man!

Not yet,Art....apart from not being able to get onto Facebook....i did panic a bit then.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 08:34 PM

I panicked a bit when the toilets roll almost ran out.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 08:36 PM

Art I've a question

To be certain I would have to check this myself with all the different appliances in use nowadays. Usually I would just replace like with like, that's how I've done it in the past.

This may be of help, just scroll down to the heading "Different types of fuses" on the link below:

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...ugs-and-fuses/
Matchu
Scarborough
Matchu is male  Matchu has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:25 PM

Nice post @OP..

Wish we had a freezer, and the poster writing about tobacco made me dribble (a man).

My rival on 'another place' was writing about how they'd be 'all right, got a well in the yard, 14 acres of land, three shotguns, a chicken.'

I imagined my own self - organising the starving townsfolk with pitchforks in our teeth, besieging his homestead, taking his chicken.

Sure it wont come to that, but yes I had tears last week.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:43 PM

Art I've a question

Quick and dirty rule of thumb.

Kettle, w/machine, 'fridge or freezer or combination, toaster, most microwave ovens, electric fires / fan heaters, sex aids, 13 amp.

Televisions, hi-fi, video things, radios, 5 amps.

Table lamps. room fans, set top boxes, 5 amps max

BUT -- fuses seldom just give up the ghost, there's usually a fault that caused them to pop.

Not always, but usually.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I was feeling a bit queasy after reading this ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ccine-be-ready
That is scary!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top