Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:20 PM

Is It None Of My Business?

I went to put my recycling bin (not my green bins as they are on hold for a month) outside last night.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when l discovered a newly installed concrete manhole had appeared on the grass verge outside my gate. It had the initials FW etched in the concrete.
This was a mystery as l had not been notified of any work outside my gate.
A quick google of FW showed the words ‘Foul Waste’. Oh no, l thought is sewage passing near my gate?

I rang the water company, a waste of time! So l went online and attempted to speak to ‘Juno’. I saw that he couldn’t spell bear, when his script stated, ‘Bare with me’, so l exited him thinking he was a scammer!

I have since then, learned it could be a BT manhole?
My son says, its none of my business as it’s not on my property but it would be nice to be informed so l didn’t wonder why a manhole appeared and for what reason?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:28 PM

Re: Is It None Of My Business?

Doubt if it belongs to BT thy have their own markings on most manholes.
You should be very happy one has appeared outside your house. If you block your loo for example a powereful suck or blow machine should clear it easily
welshlion
Vale of Glam,Wales,U.K.
welshlion is male  welshlion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 09:34 PM

I would have thought you would have been notified as well, simply because they were digging holes outside your entrance way.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Doubt if it belongs to BT thy have their own markings on most manholes.
You should be very happy one has appeared outside your house. If you block your loo for example a powereful suck or blow machine should clear it easily
realspeed, My sewage goes out via another road around the corner!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

07-04-2020, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by welshlion ->
I would have thought you would have been notified as well, simply because they were digging holes outside your entrance way.
welshlion, I'd have thought so too but l suppose anything outside of your curtilage, is classed as none of your business?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 05:34 AM

I'm just amazed you didn't see it being done, it couldn't have been a five minute job
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 06:51 AM

Don't worry about Manholes, Black Holes are far more serious.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2020, 10:37 AM

On line search says FW manholes are "Foul Water".

(as distinct from drinking water.)
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

08-04-2020, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I'm just amazed you didn't see it being done, it couldn't have been a five minute job

It amazes me too! Barry.
There is a lot of shrubbery at the gate which would have blocked my view of the manhole’s position. Maybe, it’s a manhole cover that’s just been dumped there? I dare not lift it!

I don’t recall any noise on that day but then there’s always noise of some sort....hedge trimmers, mowers etc.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

08-04-2020, 11:21 AM

This is a pic of the markings on the concrete manhole cover. I have blocked out the number on the cover but the other markings might indicate which service provider it belongs to.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	F016F4D1-78E8-458F-B10F-A38898735CBF.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	12182  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top