Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 04:10 PM

Out & about..

I know some of our members are still doing their own shopping etc.
I wondered if you use the 'special' slots designed for older people & do you wear any face protection?

I have been out one time only in the past fortnight to pick some medication up that I'd ordered online. I wore mask & face shield.

The kids are shopping for us & what we don't have we do without!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 04:19 PM

Re: Out & about..

No, just go as I am, not heard anyone coughing yet.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 05:03 PM

Not sure if this should go here or under 'Shopping Today' - Oh well, here it is

I've driven to my usual supermarket - Sainsbury's - twice in the past 12 days, and without doing any serious panic buying or stripping the shelves I did a reasonably big shop each time
Those are the only times that I've been out of my house - well, a flat actually

I wanted to post a letter and a small packet but my local sub PO is closed, so I thought I'd have a walk to the town centre one, which is now in WH Smiths
I thought - it's a nice afternoon and I can count this as getting some exercise & fresh air
It's about a 25 - 30 min walk

I haven't been into town since the lockdown started, and as you might expect, things were very quiet - all the pubs & cafes closed, and just about every shop except Iceland & Oddies bakers; though I went straight to the PO and didn't wander round at all
And only a very few people around
So although I know about this, and expected it, and I expect that you know this too, I thought i'd mention it, as it just shows how devastating this virus has been

I caught the bus back; usually it would have been quite full, now there were only 6 or 7 people on the bus, well spread out
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 05:07 PM

I went down to M & S food hall at the oldies opening time on Monday.
They opened 8 am - 9 am and it was a doddle.
Hardly anyone there, easy to park, no queue to get in.
Got everything I needed and was in and out, and back to my car in about 20 mins.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 06:10 PM

A bus passed me today and I was surprised to see people sitting behind one another & not wearing any kind of facial protection. I guess they think it won't happen to them.

As I understand it - it's not just if you cough or sneeze but in the droplets of moisture that you naturally breathe out.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I went down to M & S food hall at the oldies opening time on Monday.
They opened 8 am - 9 am and it was a doddle.
Hardly anyone there, easy to park, no queue to get in.
Got everything I needed and was in and out, and back to my car in about 20 mins.
I go to M & S or little tesco, not had much queuing to do at all and get everything I need.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 08:02 PM

I'm in the shops twice or three times a week as I'm supporting about ten households who are self-isolating. I phoned them all on Monday morning and then collected medication for two and shopping for another, then phoned them again yesterday to say I wouldn't be shopping tomorrow........so if they wanted shopping to get their lists, money and shopping bags on doorstops by 8.30 am. Shopping for four households isn't easy particularly when deliveries to the shop are yet to arrive, so I have to go to another shop......with queue.... exhausted!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I know some of our members are still doing their own shopping etc.
I wondered if you use the 'special' slots designed for older people & do you wear any face protection?

I have been out one time only in the past fortnight to pick some medication up that I'd ordered online. I wore mask & face shield.

The kids are shopping for us & what we don't have we do without!
I am still doing my own shopping, Carol, but I don't go at the special times because the queues are too long. I go mid afternoon went it is quieter.

Yes - I wear a mask, a face shield (copycatting you) and surgical gloves.

Any medication I need comes by post from Pharmacy2U - they are really good.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2020, 10:47 PM

I get out for a daily walk for an hour or so and I go shopping though I used to go shopping everyday now I only go when I run out of milk.

Yesterday I made an extra trip to Woollies to get an extra 3 litres of milk because the amount that I had would not have lasted me to Tuesday.

I don't wear any protective equipment because the general thinking here is that it is a waste of time unless you are the one effected with a cold or the virus.

The two supermarkets near me have totally different protections. Coles insists on shoppers having a trolley to ensure spacing and they disinfect down each trolley handle before they give it to you. Woollies has a girl at the entrance with a pot of hand sanitiser which she squirts on your hands before you enter, inside the store are marks on the floor for spacing.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top