Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 09:51 PM

Mushroom cheese steak

The origins of the "Philly mushroom cheese steak" sandwich have been lost in the mists of time but in my opinion there is no greater sandwich.

To make one is simplicity itself.
an entire cut of rib-eye, machine sliced extremely thinly. A handful is put on the griddle and cooked and chopped even finer. Sliced mushrooms are added to the meat. Provolone cheese is layered over the top and a sliced 12 inch long roll is laid over the top. The entire concoction is scooped up into the roll.

I once spoke to the owner of "Pats" in Philadelphia, and he told me that he goes through 1 ton of rib-eye meat/day.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	12256   Click image for larger version

Name:	1a1eee92f378a9bef6bfea953c67073b.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	12257   Click image for larger version

Name:	cheesesteak.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	12258  
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 10:00 PM

Re: Mushroom cheese steak

Both "Pats" and "Gino's" (in the background) claim to be the inventors of the famed "Philly" mushroom cheese steak.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	12259  
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2020, 10:43 PM

Is that the same as a "Hogie"?
bakerman
Mexico

15-04-2020, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Is that the same as a "Hogie"?

Good question. No, they are different. There are many, many names for a "hogie" type sandwich: Grinder, Subs, Po'Boy, Hero, Torpedo, etc etc. All basically the same type of sandwich. Some of them are served cold, like an Italian hogie with various cold cuts: like salami, ham, baloney etc, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, etc. Some are served hot, like a meatball sub, with a spicy tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.

BUT, A "Philly" mushroom, cheese steak is only served hot and is limited to 3 basic ingredients: rib-eye steak, mushrooms, and cheese. Some people also ask for grilled onions and/or green peppers to be added to the 3 basic ingredients. Also, a "Philly" never, ever has mayo, or mustard or catsup or lettuce or tomato.

PS: "Philly" is a shortened name for Philadelphia, the city where it was invented.

When ordering a Philly mushroom cheese steak, you better be very hungry, because it is a very large yummy sandwich.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2020, 12:39 AM

Thanks. I had a Hogie in NY. It was nice but yours looks better. And yes I've been to Philly but only briefly. Places I'm most familiar with in the US are New Jersey and San Francisco.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top