Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:57 AM

Re: Pickles

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Pickling fluid is supposed to preserve and, as most of it is based on vinegar of various kinds, it does - but - once the jar has been opened it becomes as vulnerable to outside influences as other foods. You might be OK to use it as is - but I would prefer to play safe and bring it to the boil first.
Fair enough. As said, not going to labour any point on this.

Do you think that, having boiled it, this liquid would enhance the flavour of any other veg you then pickle in it? Or would it be negligible and not worth the bother?

Allowing spices to infuse into oils is well known. Not sure about the same effect on vinegar/sugar solutions.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Fair enough. As said, not going to labour any point on this.

Do you think that, having boiled it, this liquid would enhance the flavour of any other veg you then pickle in it? Or would it be negligible and not worth the bother?

Allowing spices to infuse into oils is well known. Not sure about the same effect on vinegar/sugar solutions.
I haven't ever tried it, Dex, but I don't see why not - various spices are added to vinegar when pickling. Might be an idea to filter used vinegar though - to remove the detritus of the previous occupant - and remember anything that has been made with turmeric will be yellow!

Should prove an interesting experiment - might just have to give it a try!

Now see what you've done!
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 12:39 AM

Thanks again everybody. "food" for thought..and action.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 12:54 AM

I grow a lot of chilli and I pickle it. this is the recipe I use.

PICKLED CHILLIES

500g chillies
1/3 cup coarse salt
3 cups water
750ml bottle white vinegar
Extra 1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 tablespoons black peppercorns

1. Wash chillies thoroughly. Use rubber gloves to protect hands from burns when cutting chillies. Cut stalks from chillies, cut away any bruised or marked parts of chillies, do not remove seeds.
2. Place chillies, salt and water in a bowl, stir until salt is dissolved. Cover, stand 24 hours. Drain and rinse chillies.
3. Pack chillies into hot sterilised jars. Combine vinegar, extra salt and peppercorns in a pan. Cover; simmer gently for five minutes. Remove from heat; stand for five minutes. Pour over chillies, seal while hot. Store in a cool, dark place for six weeks before using.

NB It says "Pack chillies into hot sterilised jars" I have never bothered sterilising jars either for pickles, marmalade or jam. I add the liquid or jam etc as near as boiling as I can get then seal straight away. Never had a problem with mould etc

The last couple of years I haven't bothered pickling chilli I just dry it and grind it up in my coffee grinder to a powder.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 05:49 AM

I've got just the thing for you Keezoy! Back in the 1970's I was a QC Supervisor in the Unilever Birdseye factory in Hastings (NZ). They had a huge library of old recipes that on the long night shift I read as I ate fish fingers, potato croquettes and meat patties from the previous days production.
Here's one of them! Dated 1863

Sweet Pickle
Onions 120lbs (chopped 1/4s)
Cauliflower 120lbs
Carrots 100lbs
Beetroot 80lbs
Gherkins 80lbs
Wash, dice and pre cook soak in 5% Acetic acid.
Sauce Mix
Golden syrup 282lbs
20's Malt vinegar 25gal
Soy 1 gal
Mustard 4lbs
Caramel 4lbs
Curry Powder 1 lb
Ground Ginger 8oz
Gr Mace 4oz
Gr Cinnamon 4oz
Gd Coriander 4oz
Mixed spice 4oz
Gd Black Pepper 4oz
Gd Cumin 2oz
Gd Fenugreek 2oz
Gd Paprika 2oz

The mixture is brought to the boil and simmered for 1/2 an hour while 28lbs of wheat flour are dispersed in 8 gallons of vinegar and 2 lbs of powdered gum Tragacanth are whisked in 4 gals of vinegar.
Add syrupped vegetables to the sauce together with gum mucilage. Bring to boil add flour /vinegar mix with vigorous stirring . Remove heat when correct consistance and pack when cool.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
I've got just the thing for you Keezoy! Back in the 1970's I was a QC Supervisor in the Unilever Birdseye factory in Hastings (NZ). They had a huge library of old recipes that on the long night shift I read as I ate fish fingers, potato croquettes and meat patties from the previous days production.
Here's one of them! Dated 1863

Sweet Pickle
Onions 120lbs (chopped 1/4s)
Cauliflower 120lbs
Carrots 100lbs
Beetroot 80lbs
Gherkins 80lbs
Wash, dice and pre cook soak in 5% Acetic acid.
Sauce Mix
Golden syrup 282lbs
20's Malt vinegar 25gal
Soy 1 gal
Mustard 4lbs
Caramel 4lbs
Curry Powder 1 lb
Ground Ginger 8oz
Gr Mace 4oz
Gr Cinnamon 4oz
Gd Coriander 4oz
Mixed spice 4oz
Gd Black Pepper 4oz
Gd Cumin 2oz
Gd Fenugreek 2oz
Gd Paprika 2oz

The mixture is brought to the boil and simmered for 1/2 an hour while 28lbs of wheat flour are dispersed in 8 gallons of vinegar and 2 lbs of powdered gum Tragacanth are whisked in 4 gals of vinegar.
Add syrupped vegetables to the sauce together with gum mucilage. Bring to boil add flour /vinegar mix with vigorous stirring . Remove heat when correct consistance and pack when cool.
Good grief, Cidarman! Not sure if that sounds tasty or lethal!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-04-2020, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I grow a lot of chilli and I pickle it. this is the recipe I use.

PICKLED CHILLIES

500g chillies
1/3 cup coarse salt
3 cups water
750ml bottle white vinegar
Extra 1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 tablespoons black peppercorns

1. Wash chillies thoroughly. Use rubber gloves to protect hands from burns when cutting chillies. Cut stalks from chillies, cut away any bruised or marked parts of chillies, do not remove seeds.
2. Place chillies, salt and water in a bowl, stir until salt is dissolved. Cover, stand 24 hours. Drain and rinse chillies.
3. Pack chillies into hot sterilised jars. Combine vinegar, extra salt and peppercorns in a pan. Cover; simmer gently for five minutes. Remove from heat; stand for five minutes. Pour over chillies, seal while hot. Store in a cool, dark place for six weeks before using.
That sounds delicious, Bruce, have copied/pasted it into my recipe file. I bet leaving the seeds in makes it rather hot - have you ever tried it without the seeds?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That sounds delicious, Bruce, have copied/pasted it into my recipe file. I bet leaving the seeds in makes it rather hot - have you ever tried it without the seeds?
I think it is a myth about the seeds being hot the membrane seems to be the hotest part. These days I only grow hot red chillis, they are small but lethal. They survived last winter but any really cold snap can kill them.

This is them not at their best. They seem pretty hardy the soil is crap being behind the garage where the incinerator used to be.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	200315 002 Chillies.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	12401  

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top