Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2020, 10:12 PM

Re: Fish!

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
semi-close in taste to trout but red snapper is a salt water fish, and IMO better tasting. snapper is mild, lean, firm and ever so slightly sweet. Depending upon where it is caught and its diet, the flesh may be pinkish. Also it is a western Atlantic fish and also widely caught in the Gulf of Mexico.
Good grief - that is a monster! Must go into town and ask the fishmonger about it.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2020, 01:18 PM

Filet of red Snapper with peach salsa. OMG, just to die for.
Hi

Red Snapper is great bakerman.

Never fished Baja, got a 23 lb fish in Florida.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Red Snapper is great bakerman.

Never fished Baja, got a 23 lb fish in Florida.

That is great swimmer. Sounds like that was fun. I hope you had a great fight on your hands.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2020, 01:57 PM

That is great swimmer. Sounds like that was fun. I hope you had a great fight on your hands.
Hi

I swapped it for a meal for 4 at the hotel, my then wife and I and the two kids.

The kids overdosed on Ice Cream and cookies.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 10:55 AM

I'll tell you how adventurous I am with fish - I will only ever buy Haddock, Cod or Sole fillets from the local fishmonger. I have tried Pollock, the poor man's version of Cod - and I did try the Birds Eye Gastro range of Basa - until I came across a Healthy Food article online which said ''The Fish you should never eat'' and there it was - The Basa! - otherwise known by Americans as a species of Catfish (I believe), it's actually banned in many of the Southern states due to the fact that it is caught in the Delta River which is highly polluted! That put me off forever!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'll tell you how adventurous I am with fish - I will only ever buy Haddock, Cod or Sole fillets from the local fishmonger. I have tried Pollock, the poor man's version of Cod - and I did try the Birds Eye Gastro range of Basa - until I came across a Healthy Food article online which said ''The Fish you should never eat'' and there it was - The Basa! - otherwise known by Americans as a species of Catfish (I believe), it's actually banned in many of the Southern states due to the fact that it is caught in the Delta River which is highly polluted! That put me off forever!
"river cobbler" is another name for it, yes, avoid.

Frozen shrimps/prawns from Thailand/China too.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2020, 07:15 PM

Thanks d00d, must admit, I felt quite nauseous after reading that article. Why does the UK and Europe allow Basa to be imported into this country when others have banned this fish. I thought both the UK and Europe had the highest health standards when it comes to food in our shops??

By the way, just remembered, I have tried Hake as well, I thought it was very nice. I would love to try Red Snapper and Mullet as well. Anyone tried Mullet. I hear it is a really delicious fish.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top