Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 05:43 PM

Re: supermarkets

Cant do that UJ - I like to choose me own bits, they will give me the near sell buy dates, the not so good cuts - no, no - I'll choose me own bits
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:04 PM

I won't buy online either...for that same reason....wrinkled peppers...rubber carrots....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Exactly !
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:43 PM

I suppose I could be called 'one of those patrons who use their trolley as a Zimmer frame' as I have severe back problems and have difficulty walking but even more just standing still, not to mention bending over to reach stuff in the bottom of a deep trolley, or even bending and straightening and lifting anything out of the trolley. So leaning on the trolley is a great help, and sadly unloading it is a painfully slow (and painful) procedure. But then guess you are one of those impatient old moaners who stand, huffing and puffing and tapping their feet, instead of maybe offering to help? The ones whom I look at and think "you should have my pain for a day then see how your attitude changes". Actually make that not even a whole day, but maybe one shopping run.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 06:45 PM

I love my local supermarket Waitrose , polite and helpful staff, good quality produce, a constant supply of £5 off vouchers, 10% off a selection of goods, a free cup of coffee and a newspaper if you want it for My Waitrose members.

I went into a branch of Morrisons recently, it smelt of rotting fish and the prices of some items I looked at were more expensive than Waitrose
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 07:04 PM

I too have noticed the speed at which Lidl and Aldi staff scan your goods, but have never understood why. If you are a customer shopping alone for a large 'shop' then it is impossible to be one end of the belt loading, and at the till end unloading at the same time, so they may as well slow down. Or do what one supermarket I used to use in the midlands did, have an empty trolley at the till end, and someone to move your stuff into it until you had finished loading the belt. You then left your empty trolley for the next customer to load their stuff into.

And before someone whines, "but what about my pound coin", the 'empty' trolley would have a coin in it.

Again I have to say that here in the valleys on the whole supermarket staff are friendly and helpfull. They always ask if you need help packing bags, they have been known to unload the trolley if they see I am having difficulty, have even been known to come round to the trolley with their gun and scan heavy stuff 'in situ' (cat litter, trays of cat food etc.)
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 07:14 PM

I have no problems with the Sainsbury's I go to, the staff are very polite and chatty and always ask if you need help with packing. They never start putting items through until the basket/trolley has been unloaded onto the belt. Even then if they see goods mounting up at the other end, they will stop until you have caught up with your packing.

As a back pain sufferer myself, I am one of those who tends to use the trolley as a support for getting around the store ..... sorry!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 08:19 PM

UJ, I would only use online ordering in extreme circumstances. Next January/February, on recovering from surgery I may do so (but will be sure to load up before hand), as I just love wandering around the stores. I start off in Morrisons, with the big shop, then pop along to Sainsbury's before going home.

During the week, I go to the High Street and can use the small Asda or Sainsburys. I luuuuuurve shopping.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 08:36 PM

Having flicked back to read the older replies, it's interesting how differently we all manage our shopping.
But, we all seem to spend a good deal of our time, money & energy on the matter of food shopping.

I'm agin on-line shopping. I have tried, Tesco, Sainsbury & ASDA.

Without exception the fresh food was past it's best (not past it's sell-by date). about 10% was not available. (I stipulated no substitutes). I like to pick my own stuff now, however long it takes to waddle round the premises.

I also use the trolley as a zimmer frame.

I am a gregarious bloke & I like to chat with till ops & folks, I meet someone I know wherever I shop.

I also use the local market on THursdays & enjoy the company of the folks in the market cafe. This is where I created Uncle Vivian, from one of the regulars (I haven't told him )
Curmudgeon
Surrey UK
Curmudgeon is male  Curmudgeon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2013, 08:36 PM

We were in our local Joe Soaps and queuing at the checkout in the manner prescribed to all customers. The checkout lady was having a problem with one item and was trying to attract the attention of the checkout manager at his station. He however was deeply engrossed in social discourse with several female staff . One loud call of SHOP brought the situation to a prompt resolution . Her Indoors is extremely critical of my behaviour in such situations and hides behind the nearest column.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top