Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Re: Nelson Mandela

Yes - thats right - admire anyone that brings about such change within themselves, especially when they have been through so much .....
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 02:44 PM

Gandhi

Kenyatta

Mandela

Churchill

Their names alone are monuments
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 04:23 PM

Dont forget Mother ~Teresa .....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
So...the old terrorist is dead !!!!
In March 1960, 69 black anti-apartheid demonstrators were killed by police at Sharpeville.
The government declared a state of emergency and banned the ANC.

In response, the ANC abandoned its policy of non-violence and Mandela helped establish the ANC's military wing 'Umkhonto we Sizwe' or 'The Spear of the Nation'. He was appointed its commander-in-chief and travelled abroad to receive military training and to find support for the ANC.

Umkhonto we Sizwe (MK) was the only way to "hit back by all means within our power in defence of our people, our future and our freedom”, the ANC believed.

MK launched its first guerrilla attacks on December 16 1961.

The ANC soon shifted its focus to urban guerilla warfare, attacking the Koeberg nuclear power plant.

MK was also responsible for Pretoria’s Church Street bombing, in which 19 people died and the car bombing of Magoo’s Bar in Durban, in which three people died and 73 were injured.

Classified as a terrorist organisation by the South African and US governments, MK was for some time based in Rivonia, where its leaders were arrested in 1963 to face a trial that would change the country and in 1963, Mandela and other ANC leaders were tried for plotting to overthrow the government by violence,

OK, now they're all saying Mandela was a great man, a statesman and so on but it's not how it all started is it?

Maybe, as some are saying, he saw the light and came out of prison a different man so Yes, for that reason perhaps I'll regard his death as sad but his history mirrors that of ALL terrorist leaders around the world.

I'm sorry but even the British government agreed that Mandela was a terrorist in 1963 so everything they're coming out with now is more than a little hypocritical. stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Complicated !

I need to do some research.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction everyone !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Our first reaction was the same as Tomcats, "So...the old terrorist is dead"

And I do agree with your post stemvk .. though there is lot more you could have said.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-12-2013, 06:18 PM

Were the Native Americans terrorists - not in my eyes .....
Or any group that has their land taken over by foreigners, we would 'not' be terrorists for resisting the likes of Hitler ......
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Were the Native Americans terrorists - not in my eyes .....
Or any group that has their land taken over by foreigners, we would 'not' be terrorists for resisting the likes of Hitler ......
Well-said Patsy but the Native Americans were fighting for their rights to their land, which were being taken over by foreigners, as you said, much as any other group choosing a similar path would do to protect what they felt was their lands and their lives.
Resisting Hitler is a little different however, but plans were in place should the unthinkable have happened and the UK been overrun by German Forces but the end result of such a scenario would have been known as what is commonly referred to now as 'terrorism', whether you like that or not.

Had I been alive at that time and we were indeed invaded, conquered or subjugated I'd have been happy to die as a 'freedom fighter' - AKA, a terrorist, much as Nelson Mandela really was. stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-12-2013, 06:41 PM

That was my point Steve - whether we like it or not - thats how we would be branded - so 'I' would be a terrorist too !
Although in my eyes - freedom fighter ....
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

06-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
That was my point Steve - whether we like it or not - thats how we would be branded - so 'I' would be a terrorist too !
Although in my eyes - freedom fighter ....
Different perspectives do open one's eyes though don't they Patsy?
I do feel that the world's lost someone who became more than a 'freedom fighter' though but do I wish the establishments around the world would be more thoughtful before jumping on bandwagons when it comes down to the deaths of ordinary people pushed to extremes.

What Rolihlahla Dalibhunga (Nelson) Mandela became is far more relevant than the preconceptions of the world's present-day politicians and also their dubious praise now.

May he rest in peace. stevmk2

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top