Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 12:13 AM

Re: More troubles!

I don't know how they work things in Hospitals either Mups baffles me every time. Hopefully it's not as bad as was thought, and it's good he's home again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 12:29 AM

Yes, let's hope you're right Jem - thankyou.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well as usual, you've all been very kind - thankyou everyone.
My eyes are not good night driving, so I drove to the hospital this afternoon. He said they had decided not to operate as they wanted to do a cat scan first, but at the time of my visit, they had not got the results through.
I wanted to try and get back home before it was too dark, but I'd got about halfway home when my son rang me to say the Doc's had changed their minds, and he could now go home. So I had find somewhere to turn round and head all the way back to the flippin' hospital again!
When I eventually found parking and got back in, he was already waiting in the foyer so I didn't get a chance to talk to anyone or find out what was to happen next, as I couldn't for the life of me understand why they had taken all the thick protective padding off and sent him home with just a sling and a load of painkillers. I was going to go back to the ward and ask about the scan, but he just wanted to get home, so we left. I asked if him if he was sure it was difinitely broken and he said they told him it was, but they wanted to see how it mended on its own, and would check him again in 2 weeks.
Have you ever heard anything like that before? I admit I know nothing about breaks, but it sounds crazy to me to just leave it and see. I don't know how he's going to manage.

If the bones are not misplaced, and providing he doesn't move his arm but keeps it in the sling, then possibly some of the mending and knitting of the bones back together can commence, although I am surprised that they haven't plastered him.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 10:45 AM

As UJ said, healing will take place if there is no significant displacement of the bone fragments. At least he has avoided having to have an anaesthetic, which has its own risks! Would be better if you knew what the scan result was, though.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=orangutan;388843]As UJ said, healing will take place if there is no significant displacement of the bone fragments. At least he has avoided having to have an anaesthetic, which has its own risks! Would be better if you knew what the scan result was, though.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would. I phoned them this morning but the nurse just told me to ask the Doctor when I take him back on Christmas Eve of all times! She just said it wasn't plastered because of where the actual break was, so I guess we'll have to watch and wait.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 05:39 PM

In the film "Reach for the sky", Nigel Green is shown with his arm in plaster held out from his body and held in place with a metal bar to support both the weight of the arm and the plaster. If they could do that 50 odd years ago, I'm sure they are capable of doing something similar today.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Mups, could he ask his GP to phone the hospital for the scan result?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

12-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Thanks Orangutan, but he saw his GP this morning and they couldn't access the hospital records even! The swelling is slowly going down today and he said its not quite as painful as it was, so I guess that's a bit more hopeful.
What I can't understand for the life of me is, why can't GP's access their patients records of hospital treatment and vice versa. I have had sooooooo many problems with my mothers GP over this subject, because the GP hasn't got a clue what the hospital have done for Mum, and the hospital doesn't know what the GP is doing either!!!! It drives me nuts. I told them I thought the idea of patients records going computerised was so that they can be accessed easily. If someone was away on holiday or visiting in a different area from where they lived, then had an accident, how the hell would the medics track what medication/allergies applied to the patient if they can't access any info on them???
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

13-12-2013, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=Mups;389585]Thanks Orangutan, but he saw his GP this morning and they couldn't access the hospital records even! The swelling is slowly going down today and he said its not quite as painful as it was, so I guess that's a bit more hopeful.
What I can't understand for the life of me is, why can't GP's access their patients records of hospital treatment and vice versa. I have had sooooooo many problems with my mothers GP over this subject, because the GP hasn't got a clue what the hospital have done for Mum, and the hospital doesn't know what the GP is doing either!!!! It drives me nuts. I told them I thought the idea of patients records going computerised was so that they can be accessed easily. If someone was away on holiday or visiting in a different area from where they lived, then had an accident, how the hell would the medics track what medication/allergies applied to the patient if they can't access any info on them???[/QUOTE]

Yes darlin' - but the problem arises when the Government said that in addition to clinicians, they wanted access to the medical records of everyone by Civil Servants too and that is when I and many others objected, which is why their very expensive computerised scheme failed dismally.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Well it seems to be a right mess now UJ. My Mum has to have monthly blood transfusions and her GP asked ME when her last one was because they had no record of it. Incomplete records are hardly any use at all.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top