Join for free
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Christmas Decorations

What are the Christmas decorations like where you live? Has your council cut back on them?

In the news today, some councils are being accused of being a bit stingey (stingy?) with the trees and lights.

Clacton, for example, erected this tree but following complaints, replaced it with this one:

Bit of a difference!

We have two trees - the one (at one end of the shopping street) is always funny to look at - it looks like someone has just thrown a set of lights at it - but the other one, complete with a fairylight canopy and a seating area underneath, always has a beautiful tree.

So, how is your area faring for festive decoration?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25141228
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 12:58 PM

Re: Christmas Decorations

Not terribly impressed with the Christmas lights in town, my neighbour has better ones on the front of her house

The switch on was well attended though..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

I live in a small village ( 200+ people) which has a tree growing in the village square. The tree looks to be about the same size as the replacement tree in Clacton. Every year this is decorated with hundreds of coloured lights and looks a lot better than the Clacton one!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Not terribly impressed with the Christmas lights in town, my neighbour has better ones on the front of her house

The switch on was well attended though..
Crikey Meg - that is a good turnout.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

12-12-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I live in a small village ( 200+ people) which has a tree growing in the village square. The tree looks to be about the same size as the replacement tree in Clacton. Every year this is decorated with hundreds of coloured lights and looks a lot better than the Clacton one!
Do they have an official switching on of the lights? I've never actually been to the switching on ceremoney but I did sit under the canopy a couple of nights ago with one of my granddaughters drinking a cup of latte and very pleasant it was too (bit cold mind).
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 07:23 PM

In our village, outside the Village Hall is a dismal tree with dismal lights, as usual, but, lots of the private houses make up for it!
One year in Wells, the two small Christmas trees outside the Town Hall died, they went brown & crispy. I saw two workmen sneak up & spray paint them green!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Aaahh .....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top