Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Sorry or Not Sorry, That Is The Question ...

Fox news personality, Megyn Kelly, has stirred up controversy by informing children that Santa Claus – and Jesus, too – 'just is white'. Kelly made the comment while discussing a Slate article about the racial implications of how Santa is portrayed. She has since accused critics of race-baiting. Should she apologize?

It would seem quite a storm has blown up over this one (even though I've seen comments from Jews and other non-whites saying the comments didn't bother them).

Do you think Megyn Kelly was wrong?

Nice to see the Christmas spirit has already kicked in
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:09 PM

Re: Sorry or Not Sorry, That Is The Question ...

Havent heard of this .....
Think she should have kept quiet by the sounds of it ......
Recall as a kid seeing a picture of a black saint ......
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:12 PM

She needs to apologise if you ask me. Father Xmas wasn't a real person but an idea, a kindly old man who bestowed gifts on people. The colour of his skin shouldn't make a bit of difference.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Based on a saint though ....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
That is what people are pointing to and some are saying that Coca-Cola invented Santa (not sure if that's true or not).

Given that historically (in what we've always had shown to us in images of Father Christmas), he has always been white and fat (I wonder if thin people are complaining as well?).
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
She needs to apologise if you ask me. Father Xmas wasn't a real person but an idea, a kindly old man who bestowed gifts on people. The colour of his skin shouldn't make a bit of difference.
As usual, it is white people making most of the fuss - in the article, the Jews that posted along with some non-whites, they all said the comment didn't bother them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:29 PM

Well when you look at the areas they came from I would suggest she is wrong on one of them at least. Apologise ? well she is as entitled to her beliefs as anyone else but possibly she could be told to refrain from spouting them in quite this way again.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

18-12-2013, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well when you look at the areas they came from I would suggest she is wrong on one of them at least. Apologise ? well she is as entitled to her beliefs as anyone else but possibly she could be told to refrain from spouting them in quite this way again.
One of the comments was very interesting on this subject (I'll see if I can find it again and put the link). They were saying that in the time of Jesus, the region he came from was Greece so he would have been more Greek looking and that (and this is my opinion now) is probably why he's always been portrayed as white. Something about dual nationality as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ite-santa-poll
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Actually they are all wrong, Santa Claus was in fact a Chinaman, how do I know this you may well ask, well when I opened up my parcel on Christmas morning in 1950 when I was five years old I got a train set, printed underneath was 'Made in China' so I just put two and two together. This was confirmed by my brother who got a garage set complete with four tin cars, also made in China.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Well according to Wiki it wasn't ...

In England the earliest known personification of Christmas does not describe him as old, or refer to him as 'father'. A carol attributed to Richard Smart, Rector of Plymtree from 1435 to 1477, takes the form of a sung dialogue between a choir and a figure representing Christmas, variously addressed as “Nowell”, “Sir Christemas” and “my lord Christemas”. He does not distribute presents to children but is associated with adult celebrations. Giving news of Christ’s birth, Christmas encourages everyone to eat and drink: "Buvez bien par toute la campagnie,/Make good cheer and be right merry."[1] However, the specific depiction of Christmas as a merry old man emerged in the early 17th century.[2] The rise of puritanism had led to increasing condemnation of the traditions handed down from pre-Reformation times, especially communal feasting and drinking. As debate intensified, those writing in support of the traditional celebrations often personified Christmas as a venerable, kindly old gentleman, given to good cheer but not excess. They referred to this personification as "Christmas", "Old Christmas" or "Father Christmas".[3]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top