Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 11:38 AM

Re: Automatic transmission.

Originally Posted by Meg;518892[B
]I had one of those when I was in my 20s Mike so not quite an 'old girl' then :lol[/B]: Are they still available .

I agree with Spitfire on one point things have got too complicated with cars these days with an excess of unnecessary features (like heated seats for example, who on earth wants a hot bottom .
Wow, you telling me you have one seven years old Daff in pristine condition

Oh how I agree about so much extra junk in cars these days which can go wrong and cost a fortune to put right.
Even the bread and butter cars are the same, talk to a female voice behind the dash and ask her to put the cd on track 4 and she puts the wipers on instead. Struth get enough of that indoors.
And the Merc, hint you are touching the brake pedal and it narrows the gap between the pads by a "nats-whisker".

Still I would like self parking as long as it is not self destructive.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I agree with Spitfire on one point things have got too complicated with cars these days with an excess of unnecessary features (like heated seats for example, who on earth wants a hot bottom .
I was walking through Bangkok this morning and saw a very hot bottom indeed. Made an old man very happy.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I was walking through Bangkok this morning and saw a very hot bottom indeed. Made an old man very happy.
In the interests of staying on topic I must ask did it have automatic transmission Bruce
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by billclay ->
I must soon find another car, my son suggested an automatic, as the old legs are not as flexible as the used to be,he thought i may find it more comfortable, do you drive an automatic or have experience of them.
I've never driven a standard & never would be willing to learn now! Automatic, especially with Cruise Control on the major highways is bliss. Canadians do a lot of driving!
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Not quite sure what I'm supposed not to be in control of when driving my auto Jimmy, but there is a school of thought that would assert that there is much better control of the vehicle with two hands on the wheel than with one....
Don't forget the brake pedal too
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
I've never driven a standard & never would be willing to learn now! Automatic, especially with Cruise Control on the major highways is bliss. Canadians do a lot of driving!
Australians do a lot of driving too and highways are the last place where an auto is useful because you are in top gear and on cruise control for hours anyway. Autos are at their best in stop/start driving which, in my experience, is anywhere in the UK/Europe or cities elsewhere.

As an aside, if a government wanted to reduce road congestion (everywhere except, it seems, Britain) all it would have to do is ban auto gearboxes. That would take half the female population off the road instantly. <ducks>

AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

13-08-2014, 05:10 PM

According to my mechanic, any others I've talked to plus my brother who was a top mechanic before becoming a firefighter told me that stop, start is the worst thing you can do to a car. Highway driving is best. Why do you think they quote different percentages in gas mileage for city & highway driving?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

13-08-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
According to my mechanic, any others I've talked to plus my brother who was a top mechanic before becoming a firefighter told me that stop, start is the worst thing you can do to a car. Highway driving is best. Why do you think they quote different percentages in gas mileage for city & highway driving?
I suspect that what he meant was that runing an engine/machine continuously rather than intermittently is better for it. Ie taxi engines wear far less and last longer than commuter cars for example even though they do far more miles because they run at a constant temperature without the stresses caused by heating up and cooling down. Though of course the constant speed running on a highway is preferable to accellerating and deccellerating but the thermal shock is by far the greater effect.

As for fuel consumption, again running a machine at a constant speed is far more economical than stopping and starting (brakes just convert energy/fuel into heat for example). Having said that my modern computer controlled auto returns exactly the same figures for highway and city driving. To make it vary from 6.4 litres per 100 km (or 44mpg for you philistines) you have to exceed 120 kph or constantly accellerate and brake on a winding mountain road for example. I have five years of figures to prove it
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 05:45 PM

I have driven automatics for 25 years now and would not drive anything else. We live at the bottom of a hill and they are just great when you have to stop at the top. No having to mess about with clutch control, the amount of people I see sliding back because they have not obviously mastered cCC
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I have driven automatics for 25 years now and would not drive anything else. We live at the bottom of a hill and they are just great when you have to stop at the top. No having to mess about with clutch control, the amount of people I see sliding back because they have not obviously mastered cCC
Some new cars have "Launch Hill Assist Systems" for old ladies.

My one downer for the auto is the ruddy fuel consumption, about 20mpg. That's "Twenty Miles Per Gallon" for strange talking folk.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top