Join for free
Page 48 of 58 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 11:47 PM

Re: Gumbud Leisurely Scribbles (part 1)

now back to being serious! - seconds flat heh - well a second is so short and brief that it is incapable of standing upright for more than one second so it always lays flat. you see minutes are much longer in time and probably fatter but I at least capable of standing alone for at least 60 seconds.

then there is the old expression "he was milking it for all it was worth"

now does this refer in anyway to our dear bovine friend the milkman?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 11:54 PM

well it's not all flats around here I think I can detect a few sharps too - hope you are enjoying being flat for a while RJ I expect you will be flat out like a lizard drinkin eh?

I still keep in touch with a few of the old "flat earth society" fellows - they have their feet firmly on the ground my my I can tell you - during all their explorations they have never found a complete round piece of earth - humps yes - mountains high yes but not round and they have found the edges either yet!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Maybe someone can sort this out for me it’s been nagging me all day. I was watching an old western film last night, the rodeo was in town and John Wayne was entered in a contest where they have to lasso a calf, bring it down and tie it’s legs in the fastest time possible, the MC speaking through a hailer calls out “Yes folks the Utah Kid has done it in 14 seconds flat” and it went on, the next fella did it in 16 seconds flat and so on, naturally John Wayne as the Utah Kid won the money but what I want to know is why do they say 14 seconds FLAT? what has the flat got to do with it? Maybe Pug would know.
I have no scientific evidence to substantiate my theory Jem, but could it be that when you run as fast as you can, and you don't have enough energy left to support your structure in a perpendicular attitude, the only option would be to lay 'Flat Out' on the floor. Hence the saying 'I ran Flat Out' Nothing left. Or 16 seconds flat out.....just a thought....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 08:14 AM

You have a point Reynard, as my old PE teacher used to say.
"If you still have energy left after a race, then you have not given your all"
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
You have a point Reynard, as my old PE teacher used to say.
"If you still have energy left after a race, then you have not given your all"
Absolutely right RJ, My old PE teacher used to say. " Another note from your mother Robert, explaining why you can't run in today's cross country" I hated running when I was at school.....

I was discussing my long and varied running career with my daughter the other day. I ended my nostalgic visit with, "I am just a has-been these days" she quickly pointed out that you have to have been 'a somebody' before you can become a has-been.....

I wonder if she will be so chipper when she discovers that I have left all my money to the local 'Disillusioned Runners Society'....
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 11:30 AM

Contrariwise, the only thing I was good at was cross country running.
I tried orienteering but invariably lost my way, rather like my life. sigh............
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Wot-Ho,scum!

Yes,t'is I...the vaunted and much praised Pug.....or,as I'm USUALLY addressed "OI,Dick'ed".

Now...this 'Flat' caper which has you all enthralled....it actually originated in the colonies...ie,the Yoonited States. Y'see,the second hand was always flat against the second MARK,on a pocketwatch.
In 1883,a jockey named Joe Murray was timed as having ridden half-a-mile 'In fifty seconds FLAT,according to the three timing watches'.
It was akin to the marks on a measuring jug,or spoon,where you fill to the exact level,making a flat measurement....but using time,a top-of-it's-class pocketwatch,and top-class horologists.

Now...I'm off for brekky....laters,chaps & chappettes...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks for putting me right on that Pug, you are a fountain of facts.

Not wanting to start another conversation about gays but we've been hearing an awful lot on the subject with the referendum yesterday to vote on gay marriage, there was a high yes vote and it will now go into law, congratulation to the yes camp. I was thinking long and hard about this and I've come to the conclusion that this could be natures way of tackling the worlds overpopulation problem, yes I know you will say it's the 'Underdeveloped' countries that have the biggest childbirth rate but they will follow what happens in the 'Developed countries' eventually especially with world wide communications available to almost everyone. the more same sex couples that form a bond for life the less children born. This old world of ours has been turning for a hell of a long time and is very capable of solving it's own problems, we are just minor tools to be used in the process, maybe the big plan is to get rid of us altogether after all we've been making a mess of the place ever since we got here.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

23-05-2015, 07:39 PM

unfortunately the reduction of children per family spells death for the country. the international prediction is : if in general families in a country have less than 2.2 - ie 2 adults and 2 children then the nation will be in decline because it is not the elderly that will maintain the country but the young to come on. several well known politicians have suggested this theory - one in particular was our former treasurer Costello and he supported this by giving women more money for having more children. The future lies with the next generation not the present or past
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Thanks for putting me right on that Pug, you are a fountain of facts.

This old world of ours has been turning for a hell of a long time and is very capable of solving it's own problems, we are just minor tools to be used in the process, maybe the big plan is to get rid of us altogether after all we've been making a mess of the place ever since we got here.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways Jem.

Page 48 of 58 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top